Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a problem for a while now that I think may boil down to some ligament or tendon damage.

I cannot remember how it occured, but I will describe my symptoms and maybe some of you will be knowledgable of my problem.

When I have a hot shower and afterwards stand up with my legs straight, it feels as if my hamstring is aching dully with an ache encompassing the back of the knee, and the tendon on the inside back of my knee will also ache. Today I noticed in addition to this that my calf muscle was also aching in a similar fashion. I am visiting a physiotherapist in July but until then I'd like to get an idea on what it could be, and how I could possibly do anything for it? And don't say just rest, I've taken a fortnight off before and it didn't help.

Thanks a lot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, minor strains can take weeks to return to action, while more serious injuries can take months. If you don't ice, stretch and strengthen you will end up with a chronic and debilitating problem which is probably why you have had this "problem" for a while now.
Is there swelling? Stretching and massage will help restore range of motion and healing. Once the inflammation is reduced and range of motion is returning, you can begin leg curls with extremely light weight to regain strength and flexibility. You may have to start training your quads more .... usually weak quads are the culprit for pulled hamstrings. It is necessary to work the ham strings and quads equally so as you don't pull either one!
But I would first seek the advice of your physiotherapist ... in the meantime "take it easy" -- I know, I know, easier said then done!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-12 15:48 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Deby.

Somebody on another forum has recommended a product called shark cartlage, have you heardof this and if so what do you think of it?

So along with a good stretching routine and massage, some light squats should be helpful in strengthening the affected area? That makes a lot of sense with me, thanks again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't a clue as to why....
Shark cartillage has been investigated for its potential role in enhancing wound healing, regulating immune function and stopping the growth of tumors and some forms of cancers. A similar situation is seen with the use of shark cartilage in people with osteoarthritis.

Antioxidant supplements, including vitamin C and vitamin E, may help prevent exercise-related muscle injuries by neutralizing free radicals produced during strenuous activities.
Also look into glucosamine (see threads on this in H & F)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-12 16:32 ]

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack .... looking over your post again, you mentioned pain on the back of the inside of your knee. Now I know you're young (15 now right?) , but this may possibly be an indication of bursitis. Bursitis is irritation of the "bursae sac " in your knee. There are three muscles that meet together at one point in the knee. Inflammation occurs here if these muscles rub against each other which they do when performing ax kicks and crescent kicks. Bursitis also is caused by prolonged kicking with full knee extension. We must remember to constantly keep the knees soft when kicking to air!
Pain behind your kneecap can be another condition which is the softening of the patella cartilage. Strengthen the quads on inside of knees by doing leg extensions ..... with machine if available to you.

Hamstring pulls are the most common injury a martial artist endures. I see it happen weekly at our school and most people don't have a clue as to how to prevent or when stricken how to treat their injury.
Your hamstrings generate knee and hip flexion. They help you retract your front, side, roundhouse and hook kicks. These muscles are generally weaker than your quads and if they are (as possibly in your case Jack) you have a muscle imbalance.

Martial artists should/must include leg extensions, curls and squats in their training routines!

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kickchick!

Now that you mention it, axe and crescent kicks are the most uncomfortable for me because unless I am very thoroughly warmed up, I get the same sensation doing them. I do kick air with softness and without fully extending, but maybe I lose track sometimes. I'll be more careful in the future! And I'll start a lower body legs routine. However,, doing leg curls with weights actually upset my legs a bit before when I did them, but that was a while ago so I'll give them another try alongside squats.

Thanks.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go lighter with the weight Jack.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: