Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Warhammer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Punching power Reply with quote

i have a few questiions id like to get out in this post.

the first is what is the best exersise/s that i can do to increase the power in my punches all ive been doing is lots and lots of pushups, that works my arms great but it takes to long for me to see the diference in my punching power is there anythin els i can do?

the second thing is i like to do heavy bench pressing ( for reference im still in my teens ) but i have been told by a few people to lay off it and only do repitition wilst im still growing why is that i find heavy weight increse my upper boddy strength so rapidly i am reluctant to stop.

and also i am curious as to what the average weight a person between the age of 15 - 18 should be able to push and how many pushups they should be able to do, i only ask this because very few of my friends do any trainning and its hard to tell if i am to standard

thanks

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember it's also about technique..Put your weight into your punch..Have your chin down and your guard up..as you do a front jab, shift your weight from your back leg forward, right into your target..To do a back punch, make sure you get hip rotation or torque...It doesn't take only the biceps to throw a strong punch..It requires the hips, shoulders, legs, etc.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from koreantiger...
.... as far as the weightlifting issue -- here is a good link that ought to give you some great tips http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody once said ... if you want to punch better ... punch. For many many times. I guess the training for strenghtening your muscles wouldn't do you any harm, as we all know you punch with more force if the muscles are better trained. You should pay attention to the proper training especially because you are still growing. Anyway I guess you look already great and imagine how you'll be when you'll reach 23 or 24

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing your technique its hard to say. But if your movements are correct the intent behind them has to be there as well. You have to hit through the target, not at it.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Techinque is the most important in punching and lifting.

The best way to build punching power is to hit stuff. LOL. Sound to simple right? Buy a heavy bag and just hit it. Power is a result of Speed and Techinque. However hitting air is much differant than hitting something that has mass. So if you want powerful punches and kicks just get a bag and hit away.

As far as bench press. Im a football coach and work with HS boys all year. So I think I can speak on this. Lifting heavy will not hurt you. Unless you do it every day. Do not max out every day. In fact just max like twice a year. By lifting heavy I say do 4 sets of 4 at some weight about 25-30lbs below your max. I would go heavy one day and light the other. Say 4 sets of 12. The key to getting strong is to shock the muscles. Change your workout up about every month. So the muscles don't get used to it. It also stops you from getting burnt out.

As far as how much you should lift just depends. I have 2 8th graders that bench over 200lbs last year. However I got Sr's that can't get 200lbs now. So ht, wt, age, body size, etc. all play a big part in that. To each his own....

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I like to practice punching very slowly to work on technique using light weights. Start with 2lbs then work your way up. I dont like to use more than 5lbs or it doesnt feel like Im punching(it feels like weight lifting). Ive also started to use them while doing slow motion katas along with ankle weights. Ive found its starting to increase my speed and power. Just remember go slowly and not too much weight or you can injure yourself.

Does anyone else do this too???

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what shotochem said it realy works.

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotochem Thats how I train my puncing power to. I do it by rounds and I go 5 3 minute rounds like im shadow boxing. I dont agree with the low weight limit you got. But especially when practising moves with weights like punching is to be very aware of the technique you are doing you only want to strenghten the muscles that you use to punch and retract. I can do 10 lbs for 5 3 minute rounds easy with great punching technique. Remember to work up to this. It took me half a year to get this strong punch(considering im only 112 lbs i think thats pretty good) If you find your self not punching properlly go down a pound or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I use the smaller weights is that I try to keep proper form while going slow motion. If I try to use 10lbs while doing kata it would be too stressful on the joints. I would be careful if you are punching full speed with that kind of weight, there is always the danger of hyperextending the elbow or throwing out the shoulder. Im not really working for strenght.
Speed + Technique = Power Strenght alone is not enough for most people.

I wonder if the Link Queen has anything on hyper extenting of the elbows??
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: