Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Everyone's Favourite Ninj
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

our gym never puts too much into doing push-ups yet i have to do 75 push ups (3 sets of 25 with 20secs rest) within a few weeks to get into the next grade and I can only do 30 straight ones.
So whats the best/fastest way of increasing the amount of push ups one can do? Any suggestions will be nicely appreciated thankyou

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do them everyday and increase them as you go them each time.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think you can do 3 sets of 25, with one minute break between them? If so, do so. Then lower the break time 5-10 seconds every time until you've gotten to, say, a 10 second break. Then the twenty second break will be easy.

Do them four times a week, for example Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Doing them every single day intensely may lead to overtraining.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recomend doing 2-3 sets a day and getting some protein.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days of the week. Monday, wednesday, friday, leaving one day intervals for your body to relax and biuld up more muscle tissue. Do 25 and rest fir 1 minute and then slowly decrease the waiting time as you train. Also dont eat fatty foods as this will muck up your muscles. Eat foods with plenty of protein carbohydates. Probobly the best strengh diets is to eat lean meats with lettuce, this will keep you very strong but wont increase any flab or put on much weight, and also very healthy.

hope this helps

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do resistance training (bench press, etc). If you can't than when ever you have a spare minute drop and max-out with reps.

Along with protien take in carbs. You cannot signifigantly gain streangth without both. Meat is a poor source of carbs. A perfect meal would be a decent size portion of meat(beef, chicken, etc), a large potatoe, and some sort a veggie if you like. A good breakfast would be as many eggs as you want(at least 5) and a bagel. Before your test take in a lot of carbs(a pasta dinner would be ideal).

P.S. With exercises like pushups there is no need to take days off. If you incorperate weight to them then do rest.

Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: Knuth on 2002-06-15 12:34 ]

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people suggest doing as many as you physically can, then rest for a short period, then do as many as you can (this will be fewer of course!) then rest again and do a third time. Do this every other day as the muscles will need a day at least to recover and rebuild.

Compensate by doing other back exercises - eg seated row, back extensions, "Supermans", sit-ups etc otherwise your posture will be ruined by too much pectoral/deltoid development.

How fussy are they about exact positioning during the test? I was just thinking that you could perhaps do one of the sets with wide hands - more on the pecs, another set with the arms a bit closer - less pectoral, more triceps, etc. (or is that kind-of cheating?!?)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tips here!
http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=738&forum=19

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend doing pushups only twice a week, evenly spaced for maximum recovery. one day should be a "heavy" day where you would do three sets (to failure)
with hands spaced close, medium, and wide.
The other day would be a "light" day where your sets would not go anywhere near failure.
This type of "cycling" has been proven in all sorts of strength training.
Since we are martial artists and not bodybuilders I would suggest training for explosive power (pushing up as quickly as you can) on the raising motion and a slower "shock-absorber" controlled lowering motion. For an extra blast, have a training partner try to push you down while you resist.
The variations KickChick suggested in the above thread are an excellent way to keep the muscles "confused" thus spurring continued gains in strength and adaptability.

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-06-18 14:11 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: