Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DisgruntledGirl
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Question about testing Reply with quote

I'm currently a White Belt gonna be taking my Yellow Belt (9th kyu) test in a few days (Shindo Jinen Ryu... basically I think its an offshoot of Shotokan).

I was really just curious if it is typically shown to you on paper or whatever your actual "grade" (I realise every dojo might be different on this though). In other words do you get to see where you may need some more work (than you even mighta thought) in a certain area or where you seemed to have done well, even if not specifically on paper but maybe even individually told....

or are you generally just told "OK, you pass" or "Sorry, you fail"?

TIA

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every place is different, but we get a critique(verbal) after we've tested about what can be improved and what we're doing right.

danbong
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: cho hwa mo yang do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of the exams I have seen give a pass or fail result. Of course you don't need to wait for your exam. You can always ask your instructor at any time what areas you need to work on and what do you do well.

AngryDelldo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kwon Shu "Kenpo" Karate. Purple Belt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our Dojo it's just a pass or fail aswell. Our instructors usually point out what we need to work on prior to the test.

If anything you might be able to tell by yourself what might need work. Some things I feel very confident at performing and a few others I'm not sure about so I work on those myself untill I have no doubt. Hope this helps some.

Really though asking is always the best way.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never seen anything other than a pass/fail....However my students just tested and tomorrow I'm going to give out Karate Report Cards. It's an idea I toyed with and decided to try. This will be the first group of students to receive one from me.

obiwansbane
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Open Shotokan,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of report cards, although it might be a bit disheartening for young kids who aren't all that great...

In our dojo its just a pass/fail and then after the test if you want or, anytime other than the test really, you can ask the instructor what you need to work on

DisgruntledGirl
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I semi asked Sensei sorta about this on Friday night... though I wasnt as wordy or specific with him.

I basically just asked if we would know that day, before we left, if we had passed or not. And you know he had to mess with me (he likes to do that ) and he said, "yes.. well you should "know" after testing how you did shouldnt you?!" So I clarified and said "Ok, but you dont tell us that day then if we passed or not" and he said "no".

I didnt bother to ask when exactly we actually *would* know, but I dont think I am too worried about it... dont think I'll "fail"... just dont know how "good" I'll do though.

Oh and for my $0.02 on the report card idea. I'd just be slightly concerned for some people (especially children) when it comes to comparing themselves with others in the class rather than setting their own goals. Though I'd love the idea to know how *I* was doing. So, I guess in general I'm all for it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we test, the instructors are taking notes on our performances. They write down scores and some take personal notes. After the testing, the reports sheets are sent to the HQ, and then results are sent back. Basically, if you don't get a belt, then you didn't pass.

However, the instructors will always offer feedback in class, when asked about performance, what needs work, etc.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgruntled, I have found, and you probably will too, that after a testing you do "know" if you passed or not. You just have a feeling about it. Like you know if you did your kicks correctly or not, and you know if you forgot part of your form or not, and you know if your stances stunk or not. The more tests you take, the more you will know immediatly if you passed or not. I'm sure this is what your instructor ment. Also I have found all instructors to be willing to answer specific questions about your test results if you ask them.

A bit about the report cards.... I handed them out on Saturday and it seemed to go well. No one was like "oh why did I get that!". No one asked me specifically about their scores (which I take as a good sign, because after testing students are always coming up and asking me for specifics). Also I announced that it was for them and their parents to know what areas they did really well on and what areas they need to work on next time, and that they are not allowed to compare with other students to see who did "better". I didn't see any students comparing report cards so I guess they listened.

DisgruntledGirl
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rateh wrote:
Disgruntled, I have found, and you probably will too, that after a testing you do "know" if you passed or not. You just have a feeling about it.... I'm sure this is what your instructor ment.

Oh sure, I knew that thats what he meant... it just wasnt what I was asking for While I dont know when people are actually "told" if they passed or not, I have witnessed peoples belt "ceremony" type deals during class and if I remember correctly (which I might not since I didnt really know what was going on at the time) they were like litterally weeks and weeks after taking the test... but who knows, maybe they just wernt in class for a while after the test for all I know?

Rateh wrote:
A bit about the report cards.... I handed them out on Saturday and it seemed to go well. No one was like "oh why did I get that!". No one asked me specifically about their scores (which I take as a good sign, because after testing students are always coming up and asking me for specifics). Also I announced that it was for them and their parents to know what areas they did really well on and what areas they need to work on next time, and that they are not allowed to compare with other students to see who did "better". I didn't see any students comparing report cards so I guess they listened.

Oh thats great! I think its a really good idea. The students can have something on paper telling them what they may need to work on so they almost have a lil checklist to go over when practicing at home.

Oh yeah... and my stomach is in ab-so-LUTE knots. More nervous than I thought I'd be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: