Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Relaxing, gaining power and speed Reply with quote

I think I'm at the point where a penny is either dropping or has dropped. At training recently we did some simple sparring with a Junzuki and Gyakazuki. The defender just did some natural blocking.

I was up against some well established and in my opinion very competent guys; all brown belts. Over the last few weeks I'd been thinking a lot about stances, power and the mechanics of how you can deliver a punch with maximum force but all at the correct moment. I tried to put it into practise during this sparring, and by golly it actually seemed to work!

I think everyone I sparred with made a positive comment about speed or power - and I'm certainly not used to compliments like that!

But then we did some line work and I thought I was 'trying too hard' and the result seemed to manifest itself in tension throughout my body.

So the question - how do you relax but be on high alert and responsive at the same time?

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been on this Martial Arts journey for 2 years but your question seems to be quite fundamental. It's one I constantly ask myself, or some variation of it. IMO in the correct moment the question just goes away, and that's when the relaxation molds with the power. It's not something that can be pinned down by the mind, it's beyond that.

Until then, patience and persistence and just trust that the moment and my improvement will come. This is what the more experienced guys have been telling me on this site and in the dojo.

I read Gichin Funakoshi's autobiography a few months back and the quote that left the biggest impression on me - "the trick isn't to make the students strong, it's to make them weak". Sure referring to non-violence, etc. but I think on a deeper level he means, don't try to control the process, but rather become weak and let the karate happen to me

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the question - how do you relax but be on high alert and responsive at the same time?

Mizu No Kokoro [Mind Like The Water]

Tsuki No Kokoro [Mind Like The Moon]

These principles are what I hold onto at all times; these are the tools that I choose to wield daily.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Relaxing, gaining power and speed Reply with quote

catlike wrote:
how do you relax but be on high alert and responsive at the same time?

Comes with years of practice. It's somewhat letting go and allowing your training to take over. We call this Mushin (no mind). If you tense up it's due to you anticipating the attack. When your muscles tense your reaction is reduced significantly.

If you think about it you get tense. React to each situation when it happens not before. If you anticipate you start to tense and your speed is cut in half. Take your mind out of it and stop thinking about what to do before you know what attack will be thrown.

It's kind of like throwing a proper strike. You are totally relaxed as your arm extends to the target which translates to speed. It's not until the moment of impact that you tighten your fist and drive from your toes through your body to your fist. The same is true when sparring. You do not react until the attack is thrown.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Relaxing, gaining power and speed Reply with quote

catlike wrote:

I have Ryu from Street Fighter to thank for this... It's simple. The kanji on Ryu's kuro obi states the following stemming from the battle standard of Sengoki Daimyo "Takeda Shingen" quoting chapter 7 of Sun Tzu's The Art of War:

Furinkazan "Wind, Forest, Fire and Mountain"

Move as swift as the wind
Stay as silent as forest
Attack as fierce as fire
Undefeatable defense like a mountain

I hope this helps you on your journey.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relaxing gaining power and speed.

Just so happens on my way walking home from my workout, relaxed power came to mind.

Just would like to share a few thoughts on the subject.

While walking past people, it was very evident that they carry alot on unnecessary tension in their shoulders, arms and hands.

(Observe for yourself the tension people carry around unnecessarily) It is also noticeable while people are eating, this is why good table manners were invented, eating exquisite food should be done with refinement and grace. As opposed to eating a leg of lamb like a hungry cave man.

I know from personal experience, that I would be able to defend and attack faster than everyone I past by on the street, just from the simple reason, that I have trained myself, to let my arms swing naturally as I walk; relaxed doesn't imply sleeping, it should evoke a sense of speed and spontaneity, with excellent reflexes.

I'm not using my arms to propel myself forward while walking, what I am doing however, is letting my arms synchronize with my movement, without any type of tension.

(Further more I can do the same thing with my legs, for the sole reason to kick faster)

As we call "natural athletes" because they move seemingly effortless. A gazelle moves this, way naturally.

As there is no tension in my shoulders, arms and hands while letting them swing naturally (it is possible to know when a person feels like it is right) because there is a feeling or a sensation in the hands of weight or heaviness (due to gravity) as they are filling with blood.

This feeling can be induced by wearing wrist weights.

The principle of developing this feeling and practicing it when punching, is like using the arm like a mace; a metal bar and ball attached by a chain effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: