Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can rotate the curriculum that's great. Even greater is if you had an extra instructor (Not sempai) on the floor who after you do basics together can break spit the student body in half, which in turns gives greater attention to the students.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
If you can rotate the curriculum that's great. Even greater is if you had an extra instructor (Not sempai) on the floor who after you do basics together can break spit the student body in half, which in turns gives greater attention to the students.

At my Dojo, we don't call all our instructors Sensei unless they are of 3rd Dan or above. If they are below that we only call them Sempai.

As my dojo only has 1 Yondan (My Sensei), 4 Nidan (me included), 6 Shodan, 16+/- Shodan-Ho.

Even if I visited other Dojo's to teach or train, I would insist on being called Sempai due to the fact that I haven't been given the honour of being bestowed the title of Sensei.

Although at my Dojo when we have multiple instructors we do generally split into multiple groups depending on available space and experience of said instructors.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
The Pred wrote:

At my Dojo, we don't call all our instructors Sensei unless they are of 3rd Dan or above. If they are below that we only call them Sempai.

As my dojo only has 1 Yondan (My Sensei), 4 Nidan (me included), 6 Shodan, 16+/- Shodan-Ho.

Even if I visited other Dojo's to teach or train, I would insist on being called Sempai due to the fact that I haven't been given the honour of being bestowed the title of Sensei.

Although at my Dojo when we have multiple instructors we do generally split into multiple groups depending on available space and experience of said instructors.

Solid !

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought of what I'd do if I designed my own curriculum.

My ideal would be to have separate beginners, intermediate, and advanced classes with the beginners and intermediate classes using a rotating curriculum.

I think it's a easiest way for a single instructor to teach a large group of different levels at once, but it only really works if you split into different levels or you'll have absolute beginners doing advanced stuff.

I also haven't figured what happens if someone takes a testing cycle off for another sport or something. Then they miss that cycle of the rotating curriculum and the next cycle we move on to something else they may have already done.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
I've often thought of what I'd do if I designed my own curriculum.

My ideal would be to have separate beginners, intermediate, and advanced classes with the beginners and intermediate classes using a rotating curriculum.

I think it's a easiest way for a single instructor to teach a large group of different levels at once, but it only really works if you split into different levels or you'll have absolute beginners doing advanced stuff.

I also haven't figured what happens if someone takes a testing cycle off for another sport or something. Then they miss that cycle of the rotating curriculum and the next cycle we move on to something else they may have already done.

I design my own curriculum, and I can concur that separating ranks by those standards is a great idea, but requires some planning. On Monday's and Wednesday's I do beginners classes, onot Tuesdays and Thursdays I do advanced classes. The advanced class really has more of the intermediate students as well. So, once a student becomes High Blue Belt (5th gup/rank) they move over to the advanced classes. It helps to be able to manage as you seemed to be thinking. As for the rotating I don't really do it in the format explained here but then again I do struggle at times to keep things organised. Separating by rank does help though weather you rotate or don't.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it funny that no matter how hard we try to create our own curriculum, to help us separate ourselves from our Sensei, to me our own person, it still pretty much resembles our Sensei's curriculum. A change here...a change there; trying to step away from having the same curriculum that you're Sensei drilled you or is still drilling you, but...other than a few changes, it's still your Sensei's curriculum.

I know! I fought against that very same beast, but to no avail...my curriculum was still my Sensei's curriculum, and for the truth being known, and after I turned that first page of my curriculum, it was still my Sensei's curriculum.

Well, that's ok. After all, we/I turned out pretty good being trained in our Sensei's curriculum, which was the same curriculum as his Sensei; apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...now, does it?!?

Yeah, I approach how I teach my students differently than my Sensei, and his Sensei, reaching same goals, but through different means, alas, the same curriculum is regurgitated, if I'm to be honest with you and myself.

Any you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. Why try to fix it, change it, if it's not broken!! Teach according to your own desires, and I do, but if I put my Sensei's curriculum right next to mine, the differences aren't quite striking at all, other than the cover and font type.

Even having a rotating curriculum is a shorthand version of the full curriculum, in which I still believe in the effectiveness of a rotating curriculum...and of course, the original curriculum. Mine is of my Sensei...and my Sensei's is of his Sensei...and his is, well, of his own!! You know what? I'm in good company!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: