Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have a long history, but i'm not talking about history, i'm talking about today. I've seen plenty of San Shou to see that they are borrowing techniques from Muay Thai. It's great though, that just means they are still evolving. Hey, us Thaiboxers are hiring western boxers to teach us how to punch more efficiently, we don't hide it, we flaunt it. We are evolving our art.
The thai people may have originated from parts of china and brought some "kung fu" with them, but it has evolved on it's own to become something totally different. Time has a way of changing things.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well put...

Angus

Danny boy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style vs style debate is *,it the individual that makes the styles.There are good fighters in every style of fighting.Itrain in Muay Thai,Savate,Kyokushin Karate,Wrestling,Boxing and some other arts but I have competed in boxing ,kickboxing and muay thai,I don't consider my self any style but only as a fighter.
My preference is muay thai as a fighter but when I've fought I tend to use the techniques that work at the time regardless who or where or what style they come from.
Basically its all good if the fighters are the best at their game.

P.S.Will this be televised I'd love to see it ?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i just try and point out the good and bad points of the art and i concentrate on whether or not they will b effective in the street. I have done BJJ, wushu, HapKiDo, FSK, Boxing, Zendokai Karate and am now doing Goju Ryu karate. I've tried a lot of things and i point out the things i like and dislike. We're kinda the same Danny Boy, cos we're what's known as Freestyle Martial Artists.

Angus

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-25 07:13, MuayTB1 wrote:
I read over my last message and It say " do not be rude" on the message I posted. I don't mean to be rude to anybody and especially to thaiboxerken. I know thaiboxerken on the old board for a while and I know he knows alot of stuff. I never intend to be rude to anybody.

Never said you intended, but I didn't feel that a small part of that message was very nice or even needed in the message to prove your point, thats all. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I've seen plenty of San Shou to see that they are borrowing techniques from Muay Thai. It's great though, that just means they are still evolving. "

San Shou has been around for a very long time, and what has evolved is the rules. A long time ago San Shou did not wear gloves, used elbows and knees (in some events they still do). Differences in San Shou techniques goes hand in hand with the numerous styles of kung-fu and other arts.

Muay Thai and San Shou are cousins, very close arts. On the outside ranges, both Muay Thai and San Shou feature an excellent array of very effective kicking, punching and leg kicking. As "international" styles of kickboxing, both Muay Thai and San Shou feature kick catches and extensive clinching. The fundamental difference is what is done in the clinch. In Muay Thai, the clinch is for knees and elbows and some limited throwing. In San Shou, the clinch is for primarily for throwing though in the past Chinese stylists also used the knee and elbow. They share more in common than any other two styles of kickboxing and it is thus not surprising to know that many fighters have cross-trained and fought under both sets of rules.

Returning to the issue of the so called "Muay Thai vs. San Shou" matches, the foremost issue when examining such events is the rules. The most common problem has been agreement upon a fair set of neutral rules. It is well known in Chinese martial arts circles that a group of Chinese martial arts fighters from Taiwan were invited to fight in Thailand in the 1970's and originally told that throwing techniques, so important to Chinese martial arts, would be allowed in the matches. However, upon arriving in Thailand, they were told that they would be restricted to fighting under Muay Thai rules which limit the throwing options. However, it is also true that the Chinese frequently invited Muay Thai fighters to events under the condition that the matches prohibit elbows. This is equally unfair to the Muay Thai fighters.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I agree with you, or the site that says so. I saw the exact same thing ( word for word ) on a site. Well, as long as you took your time to clear everything up.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and paste is grand...

Read the whole article at http://www.sanshou.org

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, True. I do that all the time . It is good that you have a open mind. I never will say style vs style and I don't give a damn. I care about Country vs. Country.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: