Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aznkarateboi wrote:
what time is shotokan aired? i'd love to see karate fights

I dunno. The Martial Arts programming on ESPN2 seems to be completely random. I think they just stick it in there whenever they don't have anything "good" on.
*sigh* I wish I had Blackbelt TV...

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rigidness your talking about is only in basic training where you learn the full motion of the techniques. and you basically do more than you need to. This is so later on when you get into application of the techniques and sparring you can use only small parts of these movements to defeat your opponent. Alot of advanced karate-ka are smooth and fast when sparring, not stiff and rigid.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
The rigidness your talking about is only in basic training where you learn the full motion of the techniques. and you basically do more than you need to. This is so later on when you get into application of the techniques and sparring you can use only small parts of these movements to defeat your opponent. Alot of advanced karate-ka are smooth and fast when sparring, not stiff and rigid.

I agree. I think that sometimes the word 'stance' can give an impression of rigidity and being in one spot when really stances are just a series of smoothly interchangeable movements. Experienced karateka (not just shotokan) know how to 'flow' between moves and become fast and fluid in their techniques.
Although a lot of (basic) training is done in rows moving back and forth up and down the dojo it is important to try and remember to learn to move smoothly in any direction with your techniques. IMO this will help when sparring, as a lot of freestyle sparring is about movement, not just standing in one stance and waiting for your opponent to come and hit you!

Sheffield Steelers!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificshore wrote:
. Remember, the fun really starts once you've reached your 1st degree black belt. Everything up to that is all foundation, the real work begins after that

Kata are a tool to teach you the foundation of your art. There are many things hidden within them that will not become apparent to you until you reach a higher level of training.

Remember, No matter what art you study you must have faith in it or it will not work for you.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate 4 life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!! shotokan is effective in self defense, shotokan karate is one of the best styles of karate once you know how to use it is very effective. i have had to use it in fights 5 times now and IT WORKS!!! i have been doinshotokan karate for 2 years now, i am a 2nd brown belt and i know how to use shotokan karate. to me its the best style, i wouldnt goto any other style or mix in, i want to mast this one style, the power house style of karate, shotokan karate. and for you ppl who say shotokan is slow LOL ok tell me this if shotokan is the powerhouse style of karate, i know it is, then speed equals power right, so if it is a powerfull stlye then you have to be fast to get that power, i know this. i am very fast and very pwerfull. my sensie is a 3rd black bvelt and i can put up a good challenge against him, iv had 5 bruised ribs just from sparring with him, and that was light comtact, so it is a very powerfull style and fast style.

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
iv had 5 bruised ribs just from sparring with him, and that was light comtact, so it is a very powerfull style and fast style.

Maybe you arnt blocking very well

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PRIDE-OKINAWA-PRIDE(Karate)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know, but when you get in a real situation, you will notice you will be doing things you learned in Shotokan.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: