Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of u guys smoke? Or have done?

I smoke at the present time, but I am giving serious consideration in quitting but i never really take the last step, I keep falling back down.......because nearly all my friends smoke, so it is very difficult to stop!
Give me some good ideas!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly... I cannot see how you can train in the martial arts....for that matter do anything "cardiovascular" if you smoke.
I quit 12 years ago...I know it's difficult! I wasn't as health conscious and not involved in martial arts.
If you don't want it bad enough the odds of you quitting successfully are pretty bad!
Fortunately I quit because I found out I was pregnant. That was a very good reason at the time for me.

For you and everyone else - Heart Disease or Death could be good reasons !!

I happened to do it "cold turkey"....meaning I threw the pack I had out the car window and that was that!
Nowadays there are all sorts of patches and methods to quit.
In the states, there is a big campaign to get people to stop smoking. The television commercials alone will scare you! Ever see a lung blackened with nicotine??? YUK!!!

Deby

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have never smoked and never will.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I totally understand how difficult it is to quit in a Scandanavian country! I started up again when I moved to Norway because EVERYONE there smokes!! Fortunately, I have since quit - I can't do martial arts at the level I'm at now and still smoke. Try the patch - it worked for me...good luck!

Lori

-Unknown-

defenestration_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel you will have problems coping with stress, there are many ways of helping with this like deep breathing, meditation, and martial arts!
I would DEFINATELY avoid this new anti smoking drug they have just brought out, it isn't doing anybody any good from what ive heard.
i work in a health food shop, and i recomend going to your local health food shop to see what they have. we stock herbal cigarettes, and herbal gum and tablets to help you quit. One thing i would recomend is called "rescue" or "recovery" remedie. It should come in a small bottle and all you have to do is put a few drops on your toungue when you feel stressed out, or like you need a *. Hope this helps you!
luv me x

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never smoked and never will.(no offense to anyone who does or has).Do you know that for every cigarette you smoke, it takes your lungs 2 whle years to get rid of all the tar and recover properly.
If U need tips try these

Eat loads of fruit
Keep your hands occupied
Eat regular meals
don't use nicotine patches
Work out to get you tired so you won't think about it.
Read a lot of books
Don't watch TV because there will always be someone on the box smoking and the craving will start to come back.

Thats all I can think of

Thanx

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, realistically, if you smoke, say, 20 a day, each week go down by 2-5 a day, so over the course of a month or two you'll slowly be going down to smoking little or not at all

I've only ever smoken 2 cigarettes, mainly peer pressure. Then I realised how dumb they were and how they did nothgin but hurt you, so I stopped while I could... stupid things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Ten Best Reasons to Smoke (Not!)
10. You hate to smell nice..... or maybe you like to smell awful.

9. Yellow-Brownish teeth are now in style!

8. You want to increase your chances of burning your house down.

7.You find being disruptive and repulsive to others in public places enjoyable.

6. Who needs fresh air? You relish in the opportunity to upset people enjoying being outdoors.

5. You get to hang out in those cool 'smokers only' cages in the airports.

4. You'll probably have about $2,500 per year less to worry about spending.

3. It's nice to occasionally put that sexy 'burnt hole' flair into your wardrobe.

2. You won't have to worry about kissing anyone with that sexy fresh breath a la tar!

1.You are dying to live life as a sick person with innumerous ailments, and die a slow painful death.

Deby

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-08-21 17:38 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Kickchick, nice one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently stopped smoking (just 3 weeks ago) because I took up running again and was finding that I was wheezing(!) after only about 5 minutes running.

I'm only 20 and smoked for 6 years so was horrified at the state of my health.

In the very short while since stopping smoking I am now 20 times fitter and the cravings have long stopped...

Physical cravings for cigarettes only last for 60 hours...the rest is all in your mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: