Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Snapped Achilles Reply with quote

Been pretty down for the last month as I snapped my Achilles at the start of August! Has anyone ever done this before? Could use some positive recovery stories.

No surgery but have a massive boot which I have to wear 24/7.

Sucks because whilst I've never broken a bone, a couple of years ago I snapped the ligament in my elbow. I'd only just gotten back to feeling strong again

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!

I've never had that happen to me before. I pray that you'll have a safe and speedy recovery, and that you'll be in tip top shape!! Hand in there, Danielle!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob

It really sucks. Would much rather have broken a bone at this point. I'd been lifting loads, set new squat PB 2 days before, and now my leg has just shriveled up from being in this boot. I was even supposed to grade in November but that's now not going to happen. Worst is it's my right leg and I'm not going to be able to drive for months. Oh and I did it the day before my birthday so spent my birthday alone in the hospital all day.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Danielle! That's terrible! How did it happen?

Just know that as bad as things are now, "this, too, shall pass." Once you get recovered, start easing back into everything. Strength is the most persistent adaptation, so when you do finally get back to training, things will start coming back for you.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian.

I've got to come up with a good story because the truth isn't that exciting

Running warm up in class. Working footwork, bouncing shifting etc. Switched stance and bang! Loud pop as my foot came down and it felt like someone had kicked the back of my leg. Knew I'd done it straight away and crawled off to the side.

Went hospital and they did the Thompson test and straight away put me in a boot to lock my foot pointing down. Had to inject blood thinners daily for the first 6 weeks and I change the boot weekly from pointing down through to going flat again.

Back in the hospital next week to see if its working.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that's rough, Danielle. I'm hoping the healing is going well!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the doctor indicate what causes this type of injury? Injecting blood thinner? I've heard of blood thinners in pill for; interesting! After your recovery, and I pray for your quick recovery, will you wear some type of ankle brace on both, and not just that one injured foot/ankle to protect the one or both Achilles?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's frustrating. Sounds like my golf injury. Just doing something routine and ... there goes my arm. I found it to be sort of traumatic, like it's going to take some time to get back to doing something I've done 2 million times in my life. I still haven't hit a ball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Did the doctor indicate what causes this type of injury? Injecting blood thinner? I've heard of blood thinners in pill for; interesting! After your recovery, and I pray for your quick recovery, will you wear some type of ankle brace on both, and not just that one injured foot/ankle to protect the one or both Achilles?

Apparently it just happens sometimes and there are rarely warning signs. The nurse did say to me they've been seeing lots of these recently (there were at least 12 others with the same when I went into clinic). They think it's because after the Covid lockdown everyone has gone back to exercising at the same level and your body is like nope that's not going to happen!

I've got to see what the phsyio says about braces. I guess I'll end up wearing one temporarily on the bad leg but ultimately there isn't any reason why the other leg would be at risk.

Blood thinners were because you're at high risk of DVTs and I guess the injections are an efficient way to get it in to the body?. The boot immobilizes your ankle so your calf isn't pumping blood in and out of the leg so the thinners help minimise the risk. Speaking of which the muscle wastage is unreal. My leg has already seriously shrunk already compared to the other one. Not looking forward to the physio.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
That's frustrating. Sounds like my golf injury. Just doing something routine and ... there goes my arm. I found it to be sort of traumatic, like it's going to take some time to get back to doing something I've done 2 million times in my life. I still haven't hit a ball.

That sucks Patrick. Are you all healed up otherwise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: