Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Muay_Thai_COBRA
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Sweating Theory Reply with quote

The gym teacher at my school told me that if if you train with extra clothing on to sweat that its not as effective as training with just a shirt on. Which way is the better option to sweat more to loose weight?

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something we used to do to make weight in wrestling (a few years later this practice was banned in my county with good reason). The effect of artificially enducing your body to sweat is only temporary and can be dangerous. The best way to lose weight is to not restrict your body by adding layers of clothing or worse (I heard of people wearing garbage bags ). To lose weight properly takes time and permanent results cannot be achieved overnight. You need to stay hydrated and not let your body overheat. Do a search on weight loss on this forum. Kickchick is very knowledgeable in this and can probably provide some links!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working out your body greatly speeds up its rate of metabolism. Sort of like a car racing at high speeds, this increase in activity results in the production of excess body heat. Since our bodies can safely tolerate only slight increases in internal temperature, it's up to our temperature-regulating systems to prevent the heat from building up by somehow releasing it from the body. If the heat is not able to escape, we run the risk of overheating and suffering the effects of heat injury. Most of the heat is lost from the surface through the evaporation of sweat.
...explains why we tend to get "red in the face" during a hard workout

Heavy clothing interferes with the heat releasing effects of sweating. On a hot day, you should try to expose as much of the skin to the air as possible. Clothing that becomes wet will prevent the evaporation of sweat, particularly if it is tight fitting clingy to the skin. Skin lotions may also create a barrier for sweat evaporation. Don't ever wear sweat suits, rubberized waist bands, or other articles of heavy clothing while working out in hot or humid weather. Such clothing will not actually help you lose weight any faster by making you sweat more. The weight you lose in fluids by sweating will be quickly replaced as soon as you begin drinking fluids again. This type of clothing can also cause dangerously high temperatures, possibly resulting in heat injury (heat stroke).

Researchers have found that after exercising in the heat for a couple of weeks our bodies adapt and become better able to tolerate the climate. This process, referred to as acclimatization, involves an overall increase in the efficiency of our sweating mechanism. Not only do we sweat more, we actually will start sweating sooner during our workout. This adaptation is desirable since it reduces the risk of heat injury.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sweating right now from reading this topic.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

point taken! ... Some sweat more easily than others...

Everything you've ever wanted to know but couldn't bring yourself to it!
http://www.lifestylefitnessservices.com.au/Cool2sweat.htm

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back you saw a lot of athletes wearing these rubber suits to help them sweat. I had one and man does it work. Problems is you can't work out more than 15 mins in it because of heat stroke and stuff. I almost always lift in a sweat shirt even in the summer. To each his one.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KickChick, there really wasn't a point that I was trying to make, just *. However, I am glad to read in the link you posted that people who do sweat a lot are, in fact, in-shape. I thought I was just the opposite or detoxing or something...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(yeah I knew that) but it was a good "lead in" to another point I wanted to make.
Yeah everyone does think because they sweat buckets that they aren't in-shape and those that just bead around the temples are physically fit. That just isn't so!

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know all of this.
10x from me too. KickChick
I thought it's not that good to sweat so much ... As for wearing many clothes ... no thank you Those times I feel nakedness is a great idea. Hopefully I still keep on a T-shirt
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: