Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tangsoodomom
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TANG SOO DO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: TANG SOO DO basic form one HELP my 5 yr old Reply with quote

HI WE (ME AND MY 5 YR OLD) ARE NEW TO MARTIAL ARTS HE WANTS TO COMPETE AND IS STARTING WITH BASIC FORM ONE I WANT TO PRACTICE AT HOME WITH HIM BUT NEED INSTRUCTION ON MOVES DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OR STEPS TO BFO COMP IN 2 WEEKS HELP!!!!

teach the children and they will grow within theirselves.......pride, respect, truth and honor

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site http://mchenry.homeip.net/TangSooDo/forms/index.htm It has all the TSD forms on it. If you need any advice, let me know It's called Kee-cho Il-Bu on that site, by the way

Tang Soo!

P.S. I'll move this to Korean arts so you will get more responces

tangsoodomom
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: basic form one found THANK YOU ive got a question too Reply with quote

thank you soooo much that is exactly what im looking for i do need some advice too he is not wanting to practice and told me today he doesnt want to do it <the comp> but we have attended extra classes for it and i think its because hes new to it i dont want him to give up on it <its easy to give up> should i make him go ahead or give him time to get use to tang soo do and comp at a later date?

teach the children and they will grow within theirselves.......pride, respect, truth and honor

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK75, that's an interesting site. The Hapkido forms looked a lot like what I do (American Kenpo). But the TKD I've seen looks a lot more like the TSD (I only looked at the first two forms). Question- why was the TKD guy bouncing in the middle of every stance change on Tan Gun? I've never seen anyone do that. I can only think he's trying to emphasize something there. But since he's not transitioning through a Cat, or any other recognizable stance, I can't think what. Doesn't TKD teach you to keep your head level as you move, and transition from one solid base to another? Just curious, but that bounce seems to violate some of the basics of TKD as I've seen it.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSDmom, 5 is a funny age. Kids aren't too sure of themselves. It's a tough call whether to make him compete or let him pass. I'd try to talk with the instructor and gently persuade him to compete. It would be good for him. You might try talking to a school counselor or teacher, or someone else who knows children, and get their take on it.

You list karateconnection at the bottom of your post. Are you studying from the IKCA tape serries?

tangsoodomom
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no katatekonnection is the name of his do jang , i agree with him not being sure of himself he is also has adhd and his counserlor said it would be good for him to try it out i think if he does it he will feel good about himself thank you so much i wish i would have got into it myself when i was younger i think i enjoy him being in it more than he does

SandanPJ
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo and Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post, a lot of the forms look like some of the basic kenpo forms...good to see other styles and what they look like...

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsdmom...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about him not wanting to compete, as it could stem from all kinds of things. Obviously, you are concerned and you don't want to rush him into competing too early.

As someone who has judged a ring with kids the same age as your son, I'd be inclined to say let him wait to compete until he gets the itch to do it. Chances are, it might be right after this competition and he sees the medals and trophies his friends picked up.

I'll be honest, with kids that age and especially beginners, it is HARD to judge children on the same subjective level as you would teenagers or adults competing at the same level. As such, the scores are sometimes wildly different from judge to judge (some judges look for different things, others unfortunately hate judging kids and don't do a good job)

This a lot of the times ends up in a lot of hurt feelings on the part of the kid, and the parents who think their kid got a raw deal from the judges. I see lots of kids crying after the competition... enough to make me think that it's not worth having.

On the other hand, it's perfectly natural to be nervous about these things too... I think I worried myself sick about a school play when I was your son's age. There's a lot of stuff riding on it... peer approval, coach approval, parent approval.. etc. Obviously, you'd still love your kid if he forgot the whole form or did it wrong, but... in the kid's head... If it's just nerves, the extra work might make it more or less stressful.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with tommarker.

delta1, I have no idea why they bounce. I do Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan. We don't bounce. Maybe a TKD ITF'er can clear this up for you (i hope anyway). I think it's called the "shine wave" or something like that. I have to research that now, cause I'm curious LOL

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kk75, you may be on to something with the sine wave theory. But it was my understanding that this is an advanced principle in TKD and is not seen externaly. It equates more to our (Kenpos') settling into a stance and locking everything simultaneously, if I have it correctly. It can't be readily seen, you feel the wave, he feels the power. Course, I could be wrong as I'm looking at this from an outsiders perspective here. Be interesting if some of the experienced TKDers in various systems respond.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: