Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well truth be known that is where we run into problems with karate teachers. Guidless need to be set up but it should not be a money making process.

What makes me a good teacher may not make you one. Just like I may have a great front kick and you may not.

You will know your a good teacher by the loyality of your students. Not by certificates, medals, awards, etc.....

The one thing I made sure I done right is the first few times I tested students I had my Sensei there to watch me give the test and make sure I did it right. I will test my first blackbelt in less than a year I am guessing. In that case I will again bring him in to oversee this first for me.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only purpose of a certification would be if someone questions your legitamacy as an instructor. However, if you have students that come to train with you because they feel that they are getting the information they seek, then that in my opinion speaks volumnes(sp) over that piece of paper that says you are certified to teach. And like the saying goes, the best martial artist does'nt always make the best instructor.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Pacific And I agree G95. Yes, I did two styles. I did TSD, and I do TKD now.

From what you all said on here, it's a waste of money to join the program. I decided not to (I would have used the ol' credit anyways and paid on it for a LONG time). I'll just learn the ol' fasion way, by trial and error.

Any advice you guys can give me in teaching?

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-13 10:53 ]

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KarateKid75,

Like you said, by trial and error, when it comes to teaching. Be yourself, be confident in your abilities, and know the level of your students. Don't be afraid to not have all the answers, but know where you can get them.

Develop your method/style of teaching. If something works for you then keep it, if it dosen't then alter it or dump it which ever is appropriate. Just as you love to train in your style, take the same approach when it comes to teaching. There will be those days when you feel like your burned out like in anything else, but keep in mind your personal goals for choosing your journey into the martial arts.

Hope this is of some help!

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it did help Pacific Thanks again guys

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: