Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shotokannon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, Traditional Jujutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching higher grades than your own Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine runs a Karate club but he's 1st Kyu, he's had a few 1st dan/2nd dan friends of his approach him for lessons and I'm wondering, have you ever experienced this? if so, what did you do?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching higher grades than your own Reply with quote

Shotokannon wrote:
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine runs a Karate club but he's 1st Kyu, he's had a few 1st dan/2nd dan friends of his approach him for lessons and I'm wondering, have you ever experienced this? if so, what did you do?

My first and oldest student surpassed me in rank. I was a Godan at the time. I continued to teach him for 6 months after his Rokudan promotion. It was fine with me but not the organization I belonged to. He ended up moving closer to our Hombu and took lessons directly under our Shinshii 1st in line student.

To me it's not a problem. If you have the knowledge and skill to teach those above you then I don't see where it is really an issue. If the higher grades don't have an issue, which it seems that they do not according to your post, then where is the problem?

Just because someone has a higher rank does not mean they have more knowledge or skill in the art. My student did not know more than me nor was he as skilled at the time. He just accepted the invitation to test before I did and passed.

The only problem that I could see with your scenario is ego. If all parties are willing to put their ego's aside it will work just fine.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fairly regularly teach classes that include people who earned their black belts when I was a child, or even before I was born. They outrank me, and have more experience than me, but I just teach what I know, and it works out just fine. They leave the ego at the door, and I pretty much give them free reign to explore and modify the drills and techniques as we go, to suit their needs.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've, in my 52 years in Shindokan, have had my share of opportunities to teach my fellow MAist's that held a higher rank than I, including my Soke and Dai-Soke, albeit, not every MAist that I've had the privilege to teach were students of Shindokan; many a seminars I've conducted were open sessions.

Ego must be checked in at the door, or that practitioner(s) not allowed on the floor, nor is that practitioner(s) allowed to remain inside the dojo, and this applies to any dojo that I've been a guest running a seminar.

We're on the floor to learn!! Being taught requires an openness towards whom it might be that's running the floor at that given time.

There were countless amount of times that I ran the floor within any Shindokan dojo, and many of those present outranked me. Not one of them were there to look at my rank, but to learn!!

I become quite blind where rank is concerned whenever I'm on the floor to learn, and that's always, because it's the knowledge that I seek, no matter whom is teaching. Yes, even the lowest rank can teach a higher rank a thing or two.

Humble!! That must be more than just a word!! It must be felt!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had that issue just yet, as i am the highest graded student at my dojo that doesnt hold the title of Sensei.

Personally i feel like as long as you have the knowledge and experience then i feel like it is ok.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember your grade only applies in your particular style (in some cases, only at your particular school).

If you do Shotokan and are a 1st kyu and a Tae Kwon Do black belt wants to learn Shotokan, you outrank them. They may be a TDK black belt, but they're a white belt in Shotokan.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an issue as long as they are there to learn and train.

I coach / teach people who are many dan grades higher than me and have been training longer than I have been alive. The majority of the time its a non-issue; if it is an issue, they know where the door is. I don't take criticism from any of them, but welcome collaboration.

The only stumbling block I see in your scenario is if the higher grades want to be promoted. For that they'd ideally need to train also with someone of a higher grade.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Remember your grade only applies in your particular style (in some cases, only at your particular school).

If you do Shotokan and are a 1st kyu and a Tae Kwon Do black belt wants to learn Shotokan, you outrank them. They may be a TDK black belt, but they're a white belt in Shotokan.

Great point !

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone involved is in agreement, then there should be nothing to interfere with someone teaching a rank higher. It is however, more common with people training in different systems or style than within the same one.

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn a lot when your in front of a class, and more when there are higher grades present. I guess as learning karate is a real two way street between instructor and student it benefits both anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: