Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

fanman
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Teaching online classes for kids - games Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have recently begun teaching my classes online due to lockdown. All my students are kids and teens. Games have been an important part of my classes. However, I’m really struggling to find or think up games that work well in the setting of online classes. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thank you 😊

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be kind of tough, outside of the normal class setting, unless some of the students are siblings that can train together.

In lieu of games, and if you have the capabilities to do so, you might consider assigning some kind of "homework" that the students need to complete on their own time, have recorded on video, and then downloaded for you to watch.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were online for the best part of last year. What age kids are you working with? We were doing a few different games:

* Jungle Run - jogging on the spot, instructor says "branch" kids have to squat to duck, "log" kids have to tuck jump, "tiger" sprint for 10 seconds, "quicksand" for high knees We even put up virtual backgrounds of a jungle and did it with that.
* Scavenger hunt - instructor says go find something red, or go find something round etc. then the kids run off and bring back to the screen something that fits that. First one back gets to pick an exercise for everyone else to do
* Relay races - needs some coordination but the easiest way we found was to write teams on a whiteboard everyone could see. First person in the team does the exercise whilst the rest jogs, then second person, then third.

Anything that the kids would have done on the spot in regular class will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: