Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: The controversial suplex maneuver Reply with quote

The suplex and variations of used by wrestlers; is it used in other martial art styles also?

The suplex has devastating qualities and dangers associated with it.

Is the suplex too dangerous of a move to be used in combat sports?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suplex, imho, isn't all that and a bag-of-chips. My counter to it, and it's not let me down yet, is to make my back as wide as I can. The more surface to ground available, the more can be absorbed.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a suplex in combat sports like UFC. I'm not sure if its legal or not, but I'd love to see a Greco-Roman Wrestler pull it off. I think it would take a lot of fight out of someone.

If anyone's seen Deadpool, Ajax does a pretty sweet suplex on him in their fight scene in the burning lab.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the suplex; it, strictly speaking, can be interpreted as being against the rules regarding spiking in some sports. This does include the Unified Rules used by most MMA promotions.

It is probably rarely seen in Jacket Wrestling, barring SOMBO, because the emphasis is usually on a rule which a suplex does not necessarily target, or on transitioning quickly to the submission game.

As seen by Fedor, and others who have received and survived the suplex; if you know how to take a suplex, or practice rolling/uki waza it is easy to defuse the force. The greatest danger is to those who never wrestled; which what made a lot of wrestlers dangerous in the early years, but as other competitors started to pick up a wrestling game the defence against such tactics became much better. It is the same with Muay Thai and it's low kicks; an easy go to strategy when kick-boxers first entered the world of free fighting, but now rarer to see despite more competitors training in kick-boxing.

I used to have an okay suplex game, back when I was regularly working on my wrestling and submission skills with a Greco-Roman wreslter and Judoka respectively. I still pull them out occasionally when sparring my students; but I tend not to get much air on them, and just use them to put them on the ground. Which is what I suspect is what most suplex attempts look like in MMA; a drag to the ground from the back.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been suplexes of various types, including the full back lift so-called German suplex, in the UFC before. In Judo we have Ura Nage, in BJJ you won't see too many Suplexes because they tend to have rules about slams and spikes that are more strict. In SAMBO the suplex is often used to counter big hip throws.

Just depends on where you are and who you are rolling with. Wrestlers love the suplex, but it has some disadvantages, not the least of which is you must be able to lift your opponent. This limits it's utility against larger, stronger opponents unless you get lucky.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For

bushido_man96

As requested

suplex in UFC

Rory McDonald vs Nate Diaz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDx7dGP0W4

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
For

bushido_man96

As requested

suplex in UFC

Where? Do you mean towards the very end of the video? To me, that/those weren't what I consider a suplex. To me, a suplex is a belly to back suplex, and never the WWE version.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
For

bushido_man96

As requested

suplex in UFC

Where? Do you mean towards the very end of the video? To me, that/those weren't what I consider a suplex. To me, a suplex is a belly to back suplex, and never the WWE version.

Here is an extensive list of Suplex variations that one looks just as painful as the next.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suplex

In this UFC bout, they look like duplexes to me but I'm no wrestler just a fan.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The controversial suplex maneuver Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
The suplex and variations of used by wrestlers; is it used in other martial art styles also?

The suplex has devastating qualities and dangers associated with it.

Is the suplex too dangerous of a move to be used in combat sports?

Nah its legal, its just exceptionally rare to be in a situation where you can actually use it. Most people lean forward and away from you if you get to their back. This makes the move a little more difficult to perform.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: