Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShotoShodan
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Chito Ryu, Goju Ryu, Aikijujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Love my Tokaido Reply with quote

I recently bought a Tokaido Tournament Cut Ultimate Heavyweight gi and I absolutely LOVE it. Unlike my old heavy weight gis, this one wasnt as hard as cardboard when I first got it, and it didnt need any altering whatsoever. Granted, it was still a little stiff but broke in after just two good training sessions. It has a great snapping sound to it, and the jacket is the best fit I've ever had. I've never worn a Shureido, and although my Sensei is a strong advocate of the brand because of its seriously reinforced stitching, I can't imagine it beating the comfort level of the Tokaido. I bought mine really considerably cheap at www.mykaratestore.com (typically the gi would cost somewhere between $200-$250, but I got mine for $155) and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quality gi in comfort, friction resistance and a great 'snap' while looking good during training.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I llike shureido's weapons. Never used their uniforms, but I hear they are heavy buy comfy. But they have a slight blue tinge to them as well.

thebudostore
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu and Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NidaninNJ wrote:
Jussi Häkkinen wrote:
And please notice: "Kata master", "Kumite master", "Arashi", "Kumo", "Tsunami" etc. aren't real Tokaido uniforms. They are not made in Japan. Original Tokaido models are SAW, AW, BW, SAB, NST, TSA, TAW and KTW. See the last comment here to find more information about it.

Those copies can be good uniforms, too - still, they're not real Japanese made Tokaido.

It's amazing that people can get away with selling these uniforms as 'Tokaido' when they aren't really made in Japan by Tokaido.

I respectfully disagree. If you take a look at the homepage of the Tokaido Japan website, you can see they also provide WKF Approved Kata & Kumite gis distributed by Tokaido International. I can assure you that here in the U.S. we (thebudostore.com) distribute 100% authentic Tokaido products.

thebudostore.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Mike H
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebudostore wrote:
NidaninNJ wrote:
Jussi Häkkinen wrote:
And please notice: "Kata master", "Kumite master", "Arashi", "Kumo", "Tsunami" etc. aren't real Tokaido uniforms. They are not made in Japan. Original Tokaido models are SAW, AW, BW, SAB, NST, TSA, TAW and KTW. See the last comment here to find more information about it.

Those copies can be good uniforms, too - still, they're not real Japanese made Tokaido.

It's amazing that people can get away with selling these uniforms as 'Tokaido' when they aren't really made in Japan by Tokaido.

I respectfully disagree. If you take a look at the homepage of the Tokaido Japan website, you can see they also provide WKF Approved Kata & Kumite gis distributed by Tokaido International. I can assure you that here in the U.S. we (thebudostore.com) distribute 100% authentic Tokaido products.

Very true, the Tokaido gi's that you sell are not knock-off's but the gi's that you sell are made in China by a company that is licensed by Tokaido to manufacture their gi's. They are not made in Japan by Tokaido. Only those gi's with the following models, NST, TSA, TAW, KTW, SAW, AW, BW, and SAB, are made in Japan by Tokaido. Not to say that the gi's made in China are not as good, for all I know they may be better but they are not the same as the ones made in Japan. That is all.

MrGoju
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is each to their own ! personally i prefer the shureido gis as there are very hard wearing. But as for the Tokaido they are a very good brand as well, my friend has got a TSA heavy weight gi and it shrunk massively and he wasnt happy ! so if you buy a Tokaido buy the next size up and Shureido the next size down.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike H wrote:
thebudostore wrote:
NidaninNJ wrote:
Jussi Häkkinen wrote:

Very true, the Tokaido gi's that you sell are not knock-off's but the gi's that you sell are made in China by a company that is licensed by Tokaido to manufacture their gi's. They are not made in Japan by Tokaido. Only those gi's with the following models, NST, TSA, TAW, KTW, SAW, AW, BW, and SAB, are made in Japan by Tokaido. Not to say that the gi's made in China are not as good, for all I know they may be better but they are not the same as the ones made in Japan. That is all.

The problem is with the use of the words "real" and "copies". We sell Japan-made Tokaido gi and belts as well as China-made. Both are real, just different.

Our company helped develop and market some of the China-made Tokaido gi for the US market. I never heard why we were included. Maybe, partially, because we're Japanese-Americans. I personally came up with the names for the Tsunami, Kumo, and Kaminari models. As I understood it, we did so with the full support of Tokaido in Japan. Back then, I remember my father meeting Sugiura-san, the founder of Tokaido, and more recently, Sugiura-san came by our booth at the 2011 Ozawa Cup in Las Vegas and thanked us for representing Tokaido and carrying their products. At least that's what I thought he said. I don't speak Japanese, and his English wasn't too good.

The China-made gi are far from knockoffs. They were designed to be different. The Japan-made gi tended to be cut too narrow for many westerers. The China-made gi were cut more full, and, of course, they have a much lower price point. Different labeling and packaging were used to minimize confusion with the original gi.

Back on topic, we used to sell Shureido and were very happy with the quality. I don't think you'll get a definitive answer on which is better. People come down on both sides. Primarily, I'd make my choice based more on features. One feature, as others have mentioned, is that Shureido are cut more full than the Japan-made Tokaido gi. Both are available in a number of models. Don't know about now, but Shureido used to have a more bluish tinge. Secondarily, I'd base my choice on place of purchase. Can I order one or the other through my sensei? If not, which can I get more easily from a reputable vendor with an adequate return policy?

Good luck with your purchase!

Vegan_cyborg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shorin ryu karate, taekwondo, international karate league IKL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: just bought the kata master gi by tokaido Reply with quote

I bought my tokaido gi from amazon.com via budomart.com seller. But i wish i bought straight from budo mart because i paid a lot more via amazon.com straightup. I like the gi fit for a size 4 a lot, as it is a little more baggy then the japan made tokaido which i tried a size 4 in a black color a week previously. It is a 14 oz with great snap that echoes throughout the dojo when quick manuvers are applied. I am a more muscular build so this gi does great for guys with large shoulders. Thanks for the previous explanations and information about this particular gi, as well as the sizing differences with the sureido. Mahalo from Hawaii.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: