Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

siffy01
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: trainers Reply with quote

everybody says that kicks such as the roundhouse to the head and the side kick to the ribs are really effective and i agree but are they just as effective if u ar wearing trainers or shoes or do they absorb some of the impact or doesnt it make a difference?????? can u still break the ribs and things like that?

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that it would not make a crucial difference if you were good at the kicks, if you were still learning them the added weight to your foot may slow down the speed of your kick and catch you off guard. I don't think shoes will really absorb the impack, in some situations they may cause even more pain, what do you think would hurt more, getting kicked in the head with a boot or bare feet?

I AM CANADIAN

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A roundhouse to the head will only be effective if you're quick enough to keep your foot from being caught. Due to the area you're kicking, a shoe won't diminish the damage much.

Due to the nature of the mid section, you do run the risk of not doing as much damage if you have a shoe on, but as leaf said only when you're a beginner. Once you've built speed and power into your kick, a shoe won't slow you down much. As a matter of fact, you should train in your shoes on a regular sidewalk once in a while. You don't want to be caught not knowing how the terrain changes your techniques.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:
As a matter of fact, you should train in your shoes on a regular sidewalk once in a while. You don't want to be caught not knowing how the terrain changes your techniques.

Excellent point KSN Doug. If you ever have to use your training to defend yourself it is usually on the attacker's terms not yours. Unless you walk around barefoot, it would behoove you to learn how to kick in shoes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: