Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

1Weedhopper
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Hakko Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Training in 2 styles Reply with quote

I have recently re-started my training in martial arts. My former Sensei's knees are shot. I trained in Shito-ryu with him and the style I started in last week is Shuri-te Bujutsu. It is kind of a blended style with Karate, Chin-na, and Aikido. There is two classes held at same dojo. The class before this one is Shito-ryu and it just so happens that the Sensei of that school trained and was in the same organization as my former sensei. I live 90 miles from here so i can only go 1 time a week. I want to get the most for my limited time. Is it reasonable to try to do both at one time. I am 6kyu in shito-ryu but white belt in shuri-te bujutsu. Sorry for long post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look at your goals and your allotted time, and see which class is going to benefit you more. Then make your decision. I don't think its unreasonable to train both, but you need to decide if its what you need right now, or rather, take the time to focus on just one discipline.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how it goes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with bushido_man96!! It's not the amount of the MA that one is taking, whether it's 1 or more at the same time or at different times. No. It's, imho, what one can do with what one has at the time that it's going to be needed.

I'd rather have one effective tool than a whole big large tool box full of different gadgets. However, it's always great to have a wider ability to use other tools from ones tool box because all repairs are different.

hawkfish
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate & Iaido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have found and also after talking to my Sensei about this some years ago, he suggested that I wait until I reached Shodan in my first art before starting a second art.

Even though both of the arts that I train are much different, Karate with empty hands and Iaido with a katana, there are parts that are common but fundamentally different.

For example, in Karate, we turn on the heels and have long stances where as, in Iaido, we turn on the ball of the foot and have much shorter stances. In Karate we make big, strong movements whereas in Iaido the movements are much smaller and the blade makes the power not the body.

I have also found, with most students in my Karate, when they take two arts it does take them longer to reach Shodan then students who study only one art until Shodan. There are exceptions to this but I have found, especially with older students, it does take them longer because they have a tendency to blend the arts which doesn't help on exams, at least in my Karate club.

ShotokanMaster.com
ShotokanPlanet.org

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkfish wrote:
From what I have found and also after talking to my Sensei about this some years ago, he suggested that I wait until I reached Shodan in my first art before starting a second art.

Even though both of the arts that I train are much different, Karate with empty hands and Iaido with a katana, there are parts that are common but fundamentally different.

For example, in Karate, we turn on the heels and have long stances where as, in Iaido, we turn on the ball of the foot and have much shorter stances. In Karate we make big, strong movements whereas in Iaido the movements are much smaller and the blade makes the power not the body.

I have also found, with most students in my Karate, when they take two arts it does take them longer to reach Shodan then students who study only one art until Shodan. There are exceptions to this but I have found, especially with older students, it does take them longer because they have a tendency to blend the arts which doesn't help on exams, at least in my Karate club.

Solid post!! I believe that your sensei's advice should be adhered and respected. Think about what your sensei's advice is saying to you, and then, of course, make your decision. Your decision is yours to be made!!

Hang in there and do what you feel is the best for you!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the "one year advise" with a grain of salt. My TKD training never covered ground fighting. So waiting a year to learn how to fight on the ground doesn't do me any good. If the styles to be cross-trained are similar, then I can see the reasoning behind the one-year wait, but even then, depending on the student, it may not be necessary.

1Weedhopper
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Hakko Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: