Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Wado Books or General Karate Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend any good Wado or general karate books?

I have just bought Wado-Ryu Karate Uncovered but in search of my next; any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two books by Shingo Ohgami are excellent, Introduction to Karate covers basic techniques, the Ohyogumite and Kihon Kumite while Karate Katas of Wado Ryu gives step by step kata from the Pinans as far as Chinto. They are a bit old now though so you may find them hard to get hold of.

Together with Frank Johnson's book covering the kata and kihon kumite (which seems to be the one you already have) they are the only books on Wado I have read. I have yet to buy Otsuka's tome (although I hope to soon) and I don't know anyone who has read Danubio's book which may or may not be worth a look (although it is very pricey). Apart from that very little has been written about Wado Ryu.

Avoid Mark Cody's book, I had a look through it and while it is ok in parts most of it seems to be Cody's own interpretation of karate, not necessarily Wado.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodo Komodo wrote:
The two books by Shingo Ohgami are excellent, Introduction to Karate covers basic techniques, the Ohyogumite and Kihon Kumite while Karate Katas of Wado Ryu gives step by step kata from the Pinans as far as Chinto. They are a bit old now though so you may find them hard to get hold of.

Together with Frank Johnson's book covering the kata and kihon kumite (which seems to be the one you already have) they are the only books on Wado I have read. I have yet to buy Otsuka's tome (although I hope to soon) and I don't know anyone who has read Danubio's book which may or may not be worth a look (although it is very pricey). Apart from that very little has been written about Wado Ryu.

Avoid Mark Cody's book, I had a look through it and while it is ok in parts most of it seems to be Cody's own interpretation of karate, not necessarily Wado.

Thank you for your reply. I'll look into it, I have found a website called monabooks.co.uk which you may find interesting. They do all Martial Arts books.
I will avoid Mark Cody's for sure, I prefer the proper sources.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan have lots of books, but I think it is because Wado is younger.

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the two books by Shingo Ohgami are fantastic, I started karate 6 years ago and my instructor recommended them and they have been my bible on my journey. I also got a lot from Chris Thompsons book "Wado-Ryu Karate".

The great thing with old books is that you can pick them up for next to nothing on ebay if you keep you eyes open.

Franks Johnsons book is a little different as it's more of an autobiography, I really enjoyed it though. I've just read a really great old book in the same vein "Moving Zen" by CW Nicol (shotokan).

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:
Yes the two books by Shingo Ohgami are fantastic, I started karate 6 years ago and my instructor recommended them and they have been my bible on my journey. I also got a lot from Chris Thompsons book "Wado-Ryu Karate".

The great thing with old books is that you can pick them up for next to nothing on ebay if you keep you eyes open.

Franks Johnsons book is a little different as it's more of an autobiography, I really enjoyed it though. I've just read a really great old book in the same vein "Moving Zen" by CW Nicol (shotokan).

Solid post!! Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
Frank Johnson is a former student of my sensei.
I will look into those.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as those of Ohgami sensei, I would thoroughly recommend Roberto Danubio's book.

In addition, you could try to get hold of AJ van Dijks book, which is incredibly detailed.

I have trained with all 3 gents and they really know their stuff.

Let us know what you decide in the end.

K.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else has mentioned A.J.Van Dijk recently, I have to admit that I hadn't heard of him but he seems to have come to prominence during my hiatus from Karate. I shall check his books out, thanks for the recommendation.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will check those out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: