Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sight for Sore Eyes
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Kyusho Jitsu, Okinawan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Want input on school Reply with quote

Hey guys-
I have a question. I have been going to a school that teaches kyusho-jitsu through Hapkido and Okinawan Karate for about 3 weeks now. Are combining these two styles a good mix? I enjoy the classes, I guess all that matters is I like the school and I have fun, plus I've already learned alot. Any input you can give me would be much appreciated.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do them both without getting confused, then I don't see why you shouldn't stick with them both. If you're new to the martial arts, though, it might be best to stick with one art for a few years before starting another.

I've only been doing karate a year, but have dabbled in a few other arts, and the lesson I've learnt is that you can bite off more than you can chew. I found with 2 of the arts I tried (TaeKwon Do and kickboxing) they were quite similar to karate but with small differences, and these small things sometimes caused problems. With Aikido I didn't have any problems confusing it with my karate, but often sore muscles and joints after Aikido practice got in the road of me getting the best out of karate practice next day.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things will mix pretty good as long as they are differant. You run into troulbe when you start mixing things that are close. Differant styles of karate lead to kata confusioin, Jujitsu vs Wrestling leads to differant ideas about going down. MT and TKD lead to differant ideas about kicking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: