Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

strongbadia
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: WaveMaster Standing Bags Reply with quote

Okay, a while ago I used a large freestanding bag in my condo filled with water. I found that when I hit it, even slightly it slid on my carpet very easily. This is annoying. I do not have a room in my house that is non-carpeted that is large enough to practice in.

I would like to get another one, but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and what you have done to minimize the sliding on carpet.

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem with my freestanding bag too, and the only way i could stop it was to have someone hold it or put it against the wall.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestanding bags are only really good for kids. If you want to hit a bag in a serious way, you need to get a normal one either attached to the ceiling or with its own frame. Most of us don't have the room in our houses for one, but that's just the reality of it.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why my good bag is hanging in my parents basement, and why i had to replace one of their ceiling lights last week. I wish i had a place for one at my house, so i didn't have to take the kids down there every time i want to use it.

Bridge
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD~Grappling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting it on a yoga mat, we do that in class and it seems to help.

Hope that helps.

mindsedgeblade
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TSD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
Freestanding bags are only really good for kids. If you want to hit a bag in a serious way, you need to get a normal one either attached to the ceiling or with its own frame. Most of us don't have the room in our houses for one, but that's just the reality of it.

I agree. Any solid kick or a combination of heavy punches easily tips a freestanding bag. And they are VERY prone to leaking, whether filled with water or sand. Maybe you can attach the base to a sheet of plywood? Or put something even heavier in there... like BBs or lead shot.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WaveMaster Standing Bags Reply with quote

strongbadia wrote:

Okay, a while ago I used a large freestanding bag in my condo filled with water. I found that when I hit it, even slightly it slid on my carpet very easily. This is annoying. I do not have a room in my house that is non-carpeted that is large enough to practice in.

The WaveMaster I use has the base filled with water. I took two 2X4s and put them touching lengthwise alongside each other, one lengthwise against the molding of the wall, the other lengthwise against the base of the WaveMaster.

It's a big help against sliding; it doesn't eliminate it, but there's a lot less adjustment, I'm sure.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rig it up any way you want, it will still slide. I hate wavemasters with a passion unless they're being used for little kids classes. They're very difficult for adults to use proper, powerful technique on. I'd rather get some kick pads and a competent partner to hold them.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: