Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Weight lifting and loosing weight? Reply with quote

i noticed that one of the members in this forum suggested that weight lifting helps you loose weight, this point intrigued me and wondered if any of the members here could explain to how much this is actually is true
because to my understanding weight lifiting doesnt help you build muscle
but i am sure that there will be people who will disagree
http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to lose weight AND gain muscle.

Can't remember why (biology is not my strong point), but I think it was the constant drilling in by ALL the mens magazines I purchase (I like them because it tells me how to improve my love life hee hee)

Ciao

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BlackI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. If you burn enough fat and you put on some muscle you can do it at the same time.

I think KickChick will chime on this, she tends to have very good tips espeacially about fitness

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can include me as one of those members who may have suggested that ad ....
True, by lifting weights and performing resistance exercises .... you build muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolism and the more calories you will use to perform your daily activities. The higher metabolism enables you to burn "body fat" more efficiently.... therefore, enabling you to lose weight. Theoretically, you may in fact weigh the same if not more (that is why I don't believe in weight scales) ... but you will have a lower percentage of body fat and your body will be proportionately sculpted and leaner.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight lifting and loosing weight? Reply with quote

Quote:

to my understanding weight lifiting doesnt help you build muscle
What the heck do you think body builders do to get so buff? Run? of course it makes you build muscle!

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa , my bad, i didnt mean to say that weight lifting doesnt help you to produce muscle, of course it does, i meant to say that to my understanding weight lifting doesnt help u to loose weight,
but to my recent explanation from kickchick, how helpful she is, my views are now changing, its just that im finding near impossible to loose weight!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It don't happen. When you lift you build muscle. Muscle is much more heavy than fat. So you may look slimmer but you will gain weight on the scales.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginners can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, due to the complete shock to the system. After a short period of time however, it becomes impossible and one must eat and train according to their goal - to gain muscle you must eat a caloric excess, to lose fat one must eat a caloric deficit. Both cannot be done at the same time. With lifting weights and gaining a little muscle, you are going to a gain a little fat - which is why then later you go on a seperate "diet" called "Cutting" by Bodybuilders to lose the fat whilst maintaining as much muscle as possible.

And yes, muscle needs fuel, and will use fat for this fuel if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont want to majorly pump up and be like proper heavy, but i just want to do the weights so that my body is generall]y tighter, so that i can loose some fat, and just tone up, surley but not heavily overdoing the weights, and the burning of the fat, i should loose weight instead of gaining it

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighter muscles will come with heavy strength training. Toning is simply a state of having muscle with little fat to cover it, so losing fat and toning up are the same goal really. Lift, do cardio, and eat to lose weight and you will reach your goals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: