Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: What are your promotion tests like? Reply with quote

For the lower kyu ranks, it's three hours, beginning with 100 pushups. For the upper kyu ranks, it's 8 hours of hell. It starts with 45 minutes worth of calisthenics, then a 5 mile run which includes sprints. There's knuckle pushups on the asphalt, and kumite, and then going through the entire curriculum up to the rank you're testing for, with more calisthenics spread throughout the test. The black belt test is this, plus requires 500 pushups.

After going through my first test for the upper kyu ranks, I'm second-guessing whether or not I want to ever do that again.

I'm doing some research, and I'm finding that not all dojos are like this.

But I want to hear directly from people out there.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testings are normally about an hour and a half maybe two.
The biggest point is simply to tire students out and add pressure.
If they’re invited to test it’s a 99% chance they pass because we’ve already decided they’re ready. As long as a student doesn’t quit or perform absolutely atrociously then they’ll pass.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your promotion tests like? Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:
For the lower kyu ranks, it's three hours, beginning with 100 pushups. For the upper kyu ranks, it's 8 hours of hell. It starts with 45 minutes worth of calisthenics, then a 5 mile run which includes sprints. There's knuckle pushups on the asphalt, and kumite, and then going through the entire curriculum up to the rank you're testing for, with more calisthenics spread throughout the test. The black belt test is this, plus requires 500 pushups.

After going through my first test for the upper kyu ranks, I'm second-guessing whether or not I want to ever do that again.

why do you train?
Also are you doing kyokushin? This sounds very kyokushin.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your promotion tests like? Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:

does anyone pass the upper kyu tests???....lol....45 minutes of calisthenics and then a 5 mile run is another 35 minutes..(at a seven minute mile, which is a good steady pace for 5 miles) not many people could complete that unless they spend 5 days a week in class or combined with gym activity. along with the rest you state is really extreme and uncalled for IMO. not doubting you, i just dont see the need for such harsh or extreme measures. im not training warriors or pro fighters. i started out in a sport based style, fought the southern circuit for a few years. trained hard and constant. but never in a way that would cause unnecessary injury or risk that can be avoided....

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our tests are pretty much the same, no matter what the grade you're testing for, but the intensity goes up as your rank goes up. Each test has the following components:

- Sanchin (with focus testing for nikyu and above)
- Rank Kata
- Rank Kata bunkai (seisan for all dan ranks)
- Hojo undo
- Kote kitae (arm rubbing/pounding)
- Rank appropriate yakusoku kumite
- For nikyu and above, free sparring
- For shodan and above, oral exam

During testing, there are several areas that test the candidate's CV fitness. Our seisan bunkai generally runs 10-15 minutes, where you are running full-intensity for short bursts. Likewise free sparring is a test of CV fitness as well.

It also keeps testing to a manageable time frame -- generally 1 hour for kyu tests and 2 hours for dan ranks.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

hezekiah
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well, here in Japan (I've lived here for 20 years). Gradings are unbelievably soft. For all grading up until blackbelt you simply do the below.

1. Kihon Kata - simple movement, blocks depend on your grade
2. 10 Punches, 10 Kicks
3. 10 push ups
4. And then your Kata
Finished in like 10-12 mins

For Brown belts almost the same just more advanced Kata

Black belt !!! - same just two Kata and thats it no Kumite.

Now in Japan, for Brown and Black you have to grade twice. Once for your local Dojo as above.

Then you need to go the the official JKF Dojo's and do it again, but this time sparring a stranger or two. You make you go around 2min non stop but not counting any point.

So simple.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-3 days long depending on the Testing Cycle level; the higher the level, the more must be done. Godan and above Testing Cycles usually take up to 3 full days to complete.

At each Testing Cycle stage, the Candidate will execute each and every technique taught in said curriculum level for THAT Testing Cycle particular level; inasmuch, the higher the testing level, the more must be,

That's the Kihon stage. There MUST be a noted improvement before advancing to the next stage. If not, the Testing Cycle for that candidate at said stage is terminated.

Second stage is Kata, including Kobudo Kata for 6th Kyu and above c
Candidates. Of course, Testing Cycle Candidates must execute all required Kata's per their level. There, too, must be a noted improvement before advancing to the next stage.

Third stage is Bunkai of which the Testing Cyle Candidates must execute all required Bunkai per their level. Once again, there must be noted improvements before advancing to the next stage.

Fourth stage is Kumite:

**Ippon Kumite (one step sparring)
**Sanbon Kumite (three-step sparring)
**Gohon Kumite (five-step sparring)
**Kiso Kumite (derived from a Kata
**Jiyu Ippon Kumite (one step semi-free sparring)
**Jiyu Kumite (free sparring)

Again, there must be a noted improvements before advancing to the next stage.

Stage six is Q&A, of which varies by the Candidates level as well as their experience and knowledge.

Stage seven's where said Candidate submits their specific Thesis. Thesis topics are chosen by the Candidates from a provided list which was sent to every network dojo by the Hombu weeks before the Testing Cycle deadline, of which the candidates are required to return said Thesis back to the Hombu for its review. Not all Testing Cycles Candidates are required to submit a Thesis of which these are usually required from Sankyu to Hachidan.

We test every rank from Jukyu to Hachidan with no exceptions. Kudan and Judan are reserved for the current Kancho and Kaicho; there's only one of each at any given time.

All Testing Cycles from Godan to Hachidan are required to Test at the Hombu. All ranks can submit a request to Test at the Hombu, and not at their home Dojo, of which, those request must be submitted 3 months before the next Hombu Testing Cycle.

No one can attend a Testing Cycle without the explicit approval of the Hombu. All network dojo's must submit all Testing Cycle Candidates lists to the Hombu 6 months before the next scheduled Testing Cycle. Inasmuch, each Testing Cycle Candidate must submit to their immediate CI a Petition to Testing Cycle application beforehand, of which the CI then submits all approved Petitions to the Hombu by that 6 months deadline.

Hombu will then approve or denial all Testing Cycle Candidates accordingly in a given time frame decided by the Hombu. All denied can resubmit the following year, and no CI can conduct a Testing Cylcle In-House without the explicit approval of the Hombu.

Randomly, chosen and approved representatives of the Hombu will make unannounced visits to a network dojo to ensure that Testing Cycle protocols are adhered. Any network dojo found in violation might face severe discipline, anywhere from a letter of reprimand to expulsion.

Seems harsh?? Seems whatever else? Not when the integrity of rank is involved.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first school we had to go through our opening calisthenics, lead them after 5th kyu, then every kata, then 3 3 round sparring matches for lower kyus, 5 3 minute rounds for upper kyus, and for Shodan and above there are various rounds for 30-60 minutes.

My current dojo depends on how many are testing, but it tends to be 10-30 minutes for kyu ranks, and 2 hours for Shodan. No calisthenics, no exercises, just a demonstration of techniques learned. This includes any Hojo Undo introduced at the current rank, if you're testing with juniors then you do their Hojo Undo with them as well. Afterwards it's the kata you've learned for that rank (at Shodan it's every kata), and then ippon kumite for that rank. For kyu ranks, that's it. The board will go to another room and discuss, and then after that you rank up if you didn't totally bomb the test or have a bad attitude. For Shodan, there is also sparring involved. From what I understand, pre-covid sparring was included in upper kyu tests as well. Furthermore, the testee has to put together a demo to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of karate.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our colored belt candidates do their required form and one-steps; anyone above orange belt then spars at least one, if not two matches. Brown belts and up are required more forms, more sparring against higher ranks, and then board breaking. High brown belts have to perform all one-steps at their testing, and recommended black belts have to perform all forms and all one-steps, plus sparring and board breaks.

We don't have a set time on the testing. If it's a small one, it can take an hour. Larger testings just take more time to get the students through, and if we have a few higher ranks testing, that takes longer.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
1-3 days long depending on the Testing Cycle level; the higher the level, the more must be done. Godan and above Testing Cycles usually take up to 3 full days to complete.

At each Testing Cycle stage, the Candidate will execute each and every technique taught in said curriculum level for THAT Testing Cycle particular level; inasmuch, the higher the testing level, the more must be,

That's the Kihon stage. There MUST be a noted improvement before advancing to the next stage. If not, the Testing Cycle for that candidate at said stage is terminated.

Second stage is Kata, including Kobudo Kata for 6th Kyu and above c
Candidates. Of course, Testing Cycle Candidates must execute all required Kata's per their level. There, too, must be a noted improvement before advancing to the next stage.

Third stage is Bunkai of which the Testing Cyle Candidates must execute all required Bunkai per their level. Once again, there must be noted improvements before advancing to the next stage.

Fourth stage is Kumite:

**Ippon Kumite (one step sparring)
**Sanbon Kumite (three-step sparring)
**Gohon Kumite (five-step sparring)
**Kiso Kumite (derived from a Kata
**Jiyu Ippon Kumite (one step semi-free sparring)
**Jiyu Kumite (free sparring)

Again, there must be a noted improvements before advancing to the next stage.

Stage six is Q&A, of which varies by the Candidates level as well as their experience and knowledge.

Stage seven's where said Candidate submits their specific Thesis. Thesis topics are chosen by the Candidates from a provided list which was sent to every network dojo by the Hombu weeks before the Testing Cycle deadline, of which the candidates are required to return said Thesis back to the Hombu for its review. Not all Testing Cycles Candidates are required to submit a Thesis of which these are usually required from Sankyu to Hachidan.

We test every rank from Jukyu to Hachidan with no exceptions. Kudan and Judan are reserved for the current Kancho and Kaicho; there's only one of each at any given time.

All Testing Cycles from Godan to Hachidan are required to Test at the Hombu. All ranks can submit a request to Test at the Hombu, and not at their home Dojo, of which, those request must be submitted 3 months before the next Hombu Testing Cycle.

No one can attend a Testing Cycle without the explicit approval of the Hombu. All network dojo's must submit all Testing Cycle Candidates lists to the Hombu 6 months before the next scheduled Testing Cycle. Inasmuch, each Testing Cycle Candidate must submit to their immediate CI a Petition to Testing Cycle application beforehand, of which the CI then submits all approved Petitions to the Hombu by that 6 months deadline.

Hombu will then approve or denial all Testing Cycle Candidates accordingly in a given time frame decided by the Hombu. All denied can resubmit the following year, and no CI can conduct a Testing Cylcle In-House without the explicit approval of the Hombu.

Randomly, chosen and approved representatives of the Hombu will make unannounced visits to a network dojo to ensure that Testing Cycle protocols are adhered. Any network dojo found in violation might face severe discipline, anywhere from a letter of reprimand to expulsion.

Seems harsh?? Seems whatever else? Not when the integrity of rank is involved.

the only thing that seems "harsh" or pointless in some organizations testing programs is the fact that they are made to be more of an ego boost for the participants to feel good about themselves...lol... to the point of even possibly causing injury. (not speaking of your org. personally.) if someone is training daily, or at least 4 ties per week they are going to know their stuff and improve regardless of whether they test or not. someones level of knowledge, form, etc... is completely what they put into it.... a harsh test or painful test dousnt make them better....and is actually pointless, they either know their stuff or they dont, which is something the instructor should know long before they test. the test is strictly for show....it really means nothing. now the last sentence you wrote i do slightly disagree with. the integrity of rank...rank has no integrity. you even stated if they show improvement they pass...but are they as good as everyone else?...does everyone have to show an equil or the same ability to pass for the same rank?... when doing calisthenics, or warm up, does everyone have to be able to do the splits? or be able to kick as high or as powerful as the next guy? if not then rank has no integrity. it is not equil and therefore shows no true level of ability.....now integrity of the person is a different issue....lol...ive trained at dojo's who were strictly traditional or under an org. and ive trained at more laid back dojo's with no governing body but superb instruction, ive even trained at a couple dojo's with only two belts, white and black...still had tests, and once you reached what would be brown belt you were allowed to wear the hakama that was part of that style as a reward. but only stripes for everything inbetween. it worked out actually as good as a colored belt system if not better in a lot of ways....testing is for the ego of the students and a reward to keep them interested. that is also why some schools with blue belt programs and the likes has a high drop out rate once that level is reached, and why so many people quit after reaching their goal of blackbelt even..it is a double edged sword in a lot of ways, it sets a goal but dousnt add anything to retention for later.....rank is what you make it, nothing more, nothing less. there is nothing special, mystical, or anything else to it... a person can be a 10th dan and still be the worst person or have the worst attitude and manners in the room....lol... what we do is nothing but repetition, the moves can be learned by anyone willing to put in the time and effort, testing is just a formality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: