Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: What gives a martial arts instructor credibility? Reply with quote

What in your opinion and experience gives a martial arts instructor credibility? What is it about an instructor that makes the average potential student think: “this is who I want to learn from” ?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, as Bob likes to say, the proof is on the floor. I want to see that they are effective, have a good breadth of knowledge, and are still excited to learn. In this, it generally helps if their background is solid (e.g. they come from a good lineage), but I'm happy to throw away concerns about their background if they're legitimate in the present.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two instructors I really respected. They both were long-time students and long-time instructors of the martial arts. Both of them ALWAYS gave feedback to their students, always giving them something to improve. I don't care how good or strong or "almost perfect" your technique is, there is always SOMETHING you can do to improve it, and a good instructor should be looking to bring that out in his/her students.

Lineage or style isn't as important to me as the "lifetime learner" and "always looking to improve" attitude. An instructor with those attitudes will definitely pass those on to their students.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What gives a martial arts instructor credibility? Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
What in your opinion and experience gives a martial arts instructor credibility? What is it about an instructor that makes the average potential student think: “this is who I want to learn from” ?

Knowledge and experience is where it starts for me. Also, their integrity and how they conduct themselves. Are the prices fair? Are they being jerk who tries to control by fear or are they inspirational? How well do they execute the techniques that they are teaching? Is what they are teaching practical for what I hope to get out of the training?

It's possible I could be missing something but those are the key ones that come to mind right away.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

credible to whom? Should have been added to the original question. Proof is on the floor is a non-argument. What makes an instructor credible to the average potential student whose only knowledge/experience comes from the media? Consider someone who has never trained. Certain points or traits might look good and impressive, yet to an experienced martial artist might be of no importance.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're looking at this from the perspective of complete beginners, rather than people with an understanding of martial arts, I think credibility is honestly almost impossible for them to discern. All most untrained people looking for training know is that the instructor should be a black belt, and they'll generally assume that the longer that person has been training, the better, and if they're part of an organization, they must be legit.

Of course, we know that anyone can buy a black belt, print a certificate, or make outrageous claims about their training history. There are also plenty of organizations that are nothing but belt mills, and anyone can create an organization. Most untrained people won't look into any of it--they will simply accept what the instructor says, especially if there are certificates and trophies up on the walls.

The easiest things that an untrained person can go on with any real reliability with regard to an instructor's credibility are reviews from their students. Of course, online reviews can be fluffed up, but it's at least something where they can get the direct feedback from others as to whether the instructor is a good person to train under or not. They could also have a background check run, but that costs money, and most people aren't going to go out of their way to do that. They could also call up any supposed organizations or previous instructors of the instructor in question to try to verify their legitimacy, but that takes time and effort that most people aren't going to go through.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof is on the floor!! First and foremost!! Secondly...Integrity!! Thirdly...Transparency!!

I believe that we all understand the first two criteria above but the third criteria might escape someone's grasp. How transparent is that proposed instructor??

Transparent teaching helps students understand the why and how of their learning. When students understand the task before them, its purpose, and the criteria for evaluating their training, they are more motivated and feel the training is more relevant.

A key to teaching more transparently is to see things from our students’ vantage points. What would they find bewildering, frustrating or alienating? Being transparent does not mean that you don’t expect the training to be challenging rather that you will engage your students in a productive struggle.

Providing instructions in more than one format is helpful. For example, you should include information on training in writing on your syllabus, verbally in class, and again in written form in handouts, if needed, to be sure that students aren’t missing important details.

How much transparency?? The amount of transparency that you provide to students depends on their maturity and the level of the class. There are times when you don’t want to be explicit about everything. For example, you don’t want to constrain their creativity by priming them with examples, you want them to struggle with figuring out what the first step should be, or you want them to be more independent in their learning. To do so handcuffs the student's possibility to have those many Aha moments.

So, Proof is on the floor...Integrity...Transparency are at the forefront of what I believe are what gives said instructor credibility.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
If we're looking at this from the perspective of complete beginners, rather than people with an understanding of martial arts, I think credibility is honestly almost impossible for them to discern. All most untrained people looking for training know is that the instructor should be a black belt, and they'll generally assume that the longer that person has been training, the better, and if they're part of an organization, they must be legit.

Of course, we know that anyone can buy a black belt, print a certificate, or make outrageous claims about their training history. There are also plenty of organizations that are nothing but belt mills, and anyone can create an organization. Most untrained people won't look into any of it--they will simply accept what the instructor says, especially if there are certificates and trophies up on the walls.

I think these are excellent points. When I started, I picked TKD because it was popular and my best friends 13-year-old cousin was a 2nd degree who, according to my friend, "can kick anyone's butt."

Being young and clueless I signed up at the first TKD school I tried, never trying any other style or asking questions about what I could expect to learn. Naive for sure. It's common among young adults, and the soccer moms who sign up their kids.

There were TKD schools in the area that advertised Hapkido, with the instructor being a 4th degree in Hapkido. In reality, they did not teach Hapkido other than a few basic techniques because the black belt was from a weekend seminar. Take a two-day seminar get a black belt certificate. Do that four times become a 4th degree and advertise it on your website. Some call that unethical, but that is what a few of these guys were doing. In the eyes of the uninformed it looks impressive and gives the instructor credibility, but people who know better see it as a marketing gimmick, at best.

I should note that the TKD school I trained at was not doing this. Also, such actions are not limited to TKD schools, and I know there are plenty of TKD schools that are ethical and not just belt factories, it was only my personal experience, nothing more.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting points made here. I think there is a lot of MA exposure out there anymore for the general public to see; TV shows like Cobra Kai, the UFC, and other fighting leagues just to name a few. You get Martial Arts in Marvel movies, the Star Wars franchise, etc. So there is lots of stuff to view out there.

The problem for the general public is separating the wheat from the chaff. I think in the end, it's important for student to at least get the journey started. Hopefully exposure increases, and students can start to see the difference in quality from different schools and such. It'd be nice to be able to visit different schools, but not everyone is in a metro area with 13-16 options for training; they may only have 1 or 2. But by starting the journey, and taking it seriously, I think the students will eventually come to understand whether or not their instructor is credible or not, and make a decision to move on or stay put.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they claim to know the dangerous "no touch knock out," they are not credible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: