Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Shotokan because a friend of mine had started. She showed me her first kata and I was 'sold'! I went along to a training session and have never looked back. Now I train with my sensei 4 times per week in Shotokan, train once a week in freestyle self-defence (a system my instructor 'created' based on many different aspects of MA) and I teach a Shotokan beginner/white belt class once a week, as well as training at home.
I'm hoping to start judo or jyu-jitsu soon too, although I think I'll have to have a 10-day week in order to fit everything, seen as I work full time and I'm also doing a part-time degree course too... Well, 'busy' is better than 'bored'!

Sheffield Steelers!

Reklats
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally joined a TKD club at school, but after about 6 months I was sick of the flowery moves and modern dance forms watering down what decent techniques there were. I had a chance meeting with some brazillian jiu-jitsu guys who gathered in the same building to roll, joined in and loved it. When I went home I found a gracie jiu-jitsu school in my area, and signed up. Now I have an official Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu card in my wallet right behind my library card, but more importantly I found an art that has the practicality that I wanted.

Reklats
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and now I'm a yellow belt poster. That was almost as fast as my first TKD promotion.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reklats wrote:
Wow, and now I'm a yellow belt poster. That was almost as fast as my first TKD promotion.

LOL I was drinking a cup of tea when I read your post and I nearly choked myself from laughing so hard. Good one!

No offence intended to any TKD affecionados, though

Sheffield Steelers!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons why I started martial arts in the first place would be prime material for a good pyschology book . The reason I began to study the art I do now is this: I was a Nedan in Shotokan and was feeling that I could improve my fighting skills by become more athletic and flexible (I was tired of getting beat in kumite all the time!!!) Afterall, I had a school and students that needed a better example than I could provide at the time. In addition I had a young son who was quite the handful and didn't take well to Mom & Dad teaching him karate and being his parents too so....we decided to find a TKD school to take him to, with the idea that I would also benefit by developing fighting skills, ie. speed and flexibility. Well, needless to say, I never looked back....my husband took over the Shotokan school and I stayed with TKD. It was a challenge to me to learn and that's what drew me to it. Middle aged, slow, in-flexible.....now 10 years later, still middle-aged ( ), fast, flexible, and in better shape that my kids! My Shotokan background has served me well along the way...and I use the philosophies and principles I was taught everyday. It has made me a better TKD'ist...funny how I got what I wanted only the other way around!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story, Heidi I saw you kick butt at your BB test (for the new school), so I know it's true. Keep up the good work

Hybrid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bdaze wrote:
what made me do my art? well, my answer is most liely going to sound like some fantasy o delussion, but trust me, it happened.

now, a few weeks later i had a dream. it was one of those recurring ones. im in school or sitting around in a public place and someone walks up and atacks me. then i try to retaliate by punching them and suddenly i can;t lift my arms, or if i can it's not enough to fight back.

this dream is always deeply disturbing to me because i have a fear of beeing helpless or defenseless. but this dream was differant., this time the second time the person punched me i managed to get enough nergy to grab his hand and put on a basic wrist lock which brought him to the floor

so basically my subconcious knew that i didnt feel confident with a striking art and going the way of a grappeling or softer art would be better suited to my needs.

i was sold after my first lesson, this is the art for me.

I had a similar series of dreams. It wasn't at school though. So, I was originally going to go with a grappling art. However, I couldn't because there were no schools near where I lived. I still wanted to do martial arts. So.. I thought about it, and figured instead of running away from my fear, confront it head on. I worked on my punches & kicks and developed my muscles & flexibility on my own and started Jeet Kune Do. I've never had that dream or a dream like it ever since.

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes if I'm truly honest with you.
I when I was younger also wanted to do serious damage to anyone who messed with me.

it sounds sad to me now & the more skill and power I learnt the less I wanted to fight anyone since it wouldn't be pretty and if I ever do fight anyone I won't hold back anything

tekki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always admired the martial arts, but only briefly considered training for a while late in middle school. It never got off the ground because the nearest reputable school was 20 miles from my house and I was involved in a lot of stuff at school anyhow. I got into my main style, Shotokan because I went away to college and I had nothing else to do for a sport. Martial arts came right to mind as the obvious choice. The Shotokan club was the first MA class on campus that both looked appealing and wasn't a PE class for which it was too late to get a spot in.
I now train at a dojo that blends Shotokan with Goju Ryu. After college I moved to Syracuse, couldn't find a Shotokan club, and went without for a short while. I eventually noticed in the window of a dojo that I would walk by fairly regularly that they people who trained there looked like they were learning good technique and were having a great time too. Moreover, I recognized some (but not all) of the katas from my Shotokan training. I assumed that this was a style that was partially derived from Shotokan (like Shito Ryu, or something) I finally decided that if I couldn't get more Shotokan, that this would probably do just fine. When I went in to explain my situation to the instructor, he said it WAS Shotokan, but there was also Goju-Ryu kata taught. Mentally preparing myself to start back at white belt as part of the cost of training at a place I might like, I was also suprised to learn that after a month or so I would be given the opportunity to test into their sytem as a brown belt. (I left my college Shotokan club 2nd kyu) In fact, after about 10 months at this dojo, incorporating and adpating to the differences, I graded to Shodan.

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PRIDE-OKINAWA-PRIDE(Karate)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started martial arts because of two things. I am a small guy and I loved to fight. However, starting martial arts have taught me a lot of things. I have learned to refrain from violence. After starting martial arts, I have reallized that its is shameful to get in a fight over stupid things. Now, I think fighting is stupid and I would never get in one unless someone is trying to kill me. Another reason is becasue I am a small guy. Big people try to take advantage of small people.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: