Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ruben95632
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: None yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Which style of fighting would be best for my body type Reply with quote

Hello, I just made an account on this forum.

I have been interested in martial arts for a long time, however I have never joined a gym or program before.

I have an odd body type, I am 5'11 tall, and have a short reach for my height 69 inch reach. This is very awkward for me.

What stand up fighting style would you recommend for me?? When I practice regularly I would say speed is my biggest strength because I am pretty skinny and my genetics have blessed me with fast twitch muscle fibers.

I can choose between Karate and Taekwando , since I do not have a car transportation is limited.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Ruben. Taekwondo and Karate are very similar styles in that they are both striking based and in fact Taekwondo developed from Karate in the first place.

In terms of what is best for you, either would be a good bet The instructor and the atmosphere in the dojo should be more of a factor in which you decide to go with. Nowadays most schools will let you try a few lessons for free so best thing to do is go along and see which you prefer.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out all of the martial arts schools that you could possibly attend in your area, watch classes, talk to the instructor and some students, and try out some classes. Train at whichever place you like better. Your build has nothing to do with this decision
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Welcome to the forums Ruben. Taekwondo and Karate are very similar styles in that they are both striking based and in fact Taekwondo developed from Karate in the first place.

In terms of what is best for you, either would be a good bet The instructor and the atmosphere in the dojo should be more of a factor in which you decide to go with. Nowadays most schools will let you try a few lessons for free so best thing to do is go along and see which you prefer.

And from:

Wastelander wrote:
Check out all of the martial arts schools that you could possibly attend in your area, watch classes, talk to the instructor and some students, and try out some classes. Train at whichever place you like better. Your build has nothing to do with this decision

Ruben, what DWx and Wastelander advise are spot on. Not much else to add... Good posts, DWx and Wastelander

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

danbong
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: cho hwa mo yang do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, the instructor and the way the school is run is more important than the style.

Your user name looks like it has the zip code for Galt. I know there is bus service from there to Elk Grove (where I live). In Elk Grove there are several schools that I think are pretty good (I don't train at any of them, I go to a school in Sacramento). Private message me if you want to discuss specific schools.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

Hi Ruben95632 the best adviser, is your own body and mind!

Check a few clubs out see what feels 'correct/right' to you, and whilst you are there get a feel for the atmosphere.

If both 'feel' right to you, then you just found the one for you!

I know many people say that anything you do is only as good as the effort you put in, this is true.
However, what many seem to brush over is you have to like/love what you are doing first, else all you are doing is making something negative worse for yourself.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly concur with every post...solid posts, each one. Good luck with your desicion. Visit the school many times before deciding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: