Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dippedappe
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Bujinkan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What streetfights?"
The reason why he began gung fu, was because of being beaten by a gang. I mean its also because of him getting into fights often, that he was sendt to the US.

"He introduced fullcontact?"
I have a movie about Lees life(no its not Dragon). Somewhere in it, it tells you that he introduced it to the western world.

"nor was it all that impressive."
Maybe not, but he did own the other guy.

"Some have argued that Bruce was the first Chinese to teach occidentals. However, Jimmy Woo taught occidentals before Bruce, and there were many others prior to Jimmy."
Didnt know that.

"He never actually fourght any one"
He never what!?!

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dippedappe wrote:
"What streetfights?"
The reason why he began gung fu, was because of being beaten by a gang. I mean its also because of him getting into fights often, that he was sendt to the US.

This is conjecture.

Quote:
"He introduced fullcontact?"
I have a movie about Lees life(no its not Dragon). Somewhere in it, it tells you that he introduced it to the western world.

Well, let me tell you this is totally untrue. The Western world actually introduced him to the idea of full-contact sparring (wrestling/boxing/fencing/savate). What he 'did' do was introduce full-contact sparring within Chinese styles being taught in the U.S., although i understand that full-contact sparring did exist in in mainland China, prior to the Boxer rebellion, so even that is not his flagship to claim.

Also, please realize that Bruce was in the entertainment industry, so most any 'movie' that comes out about him is going to be geared towards increasing his 'onscreen' saleability. A story about a guy who studied dance, won a Hong Kong junior dance competition, studied wing chun for a few years and then who was sent to the U.S. to obtain a college education... isn't all that interesting. "Ya gotta spice it up baby!"

Quote:
"nor was it all that impressive."
Maybe not, but he did own the other guy.

A student? Well gee... when have you not owned one of your students?

Quote:
"Some have argued that Bruce was the first Chinese to teach occidentals. However, Jimmy Woo taught occidentals before Bruce, and there were many others prior to Jimmy."
Didnt know that.

Aye, when you look through tinted lenses, what you see is a tinted view.

Quote:
"He never actually fourght any one"
He never what!?!

ROB said this, and i disagree. He did have a few 'undocumented' fights, but none of them showing anything even remotely domineering as what is presented on screen. Bruce did not participate in competitions. Of the information i've been able to obtain, he faired well and poorly in the so-called 'undocumented' fights. In the case of a Chinese practitioner visiting his school and challenging him, the reports are they 'danced around' for over 15 minutes before Bruce got all frustrated and ended up wrestling the guy instead.

Intro

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The only time i know of him 'battling' on a rooftop, was when he worked out with William Cheung on the rooftop of the building Yip Man's school was situated in"

i know of one fight that both william cheung and wong shun leung have mentioned separately about young bruce lee and rooftop fights.
basically, on this occasion, he was being shown how bad he was until he got a lucky shot in.
so while he did win that fight, it wasn't because of superior skill.
all other accounts of other such fights point to him not doing well.
(unlike the accounts of wong shun leung, that do, on all sides, point to him being undefeated)

"And his jkd was all about what was most effecient in real fights"
um, no.

"The reason why he began gung fu, was because of being beaten by a gang. I mean its also because of him getting into fights often, that he was sendt to the US"
from accounts by william cheung.
bruce lee used to hang out with a bunch of gang wannabes
(remember, this was in hk when the NEW triad gangs were coming into power).
his dad introduced him to yip man as a means to control him.

"What he 'did' do was introduce full-contact sparring within Chinese styles being taught in the U.S., although i understand that full-contact sparring did exist in in mainland China, prior to the Boxer rebellion, so even that is not his flagship to claim"

don't forget that his wing chun seniors, especially wong shun leung were forever beating him black and blue
(he had full contact shown to him after he was being a bit of an *...alledgedly.....)

hk at that time was a bit of a mess.
the new gangs that were hiding/using the kowloon wall city as a fort adopted the old rebellion/triad systems and motifs.
they also began to actively hire 'beat-boys' from martial arts schools.
as a result, many martial arts schools became nothing more than a triad outpost.
the many real, life threatening fights were between these schools and not between the other 'legit' schools.
(although, they did organise the famous rooftop fights, although bruce hardly ever took part due to him not being good enough)
you could argue that this was why bruce lee was introduced to yip man;
to prevent him from further mixing with the wrong sort of crowd.
learning kung fu was not really the main point.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little off topic but one of my friends greatgrandfathers took part in the boxers rebellion and his grandfather told him all the storys.

ok back to topic lee was at best a good martial artist who was great at breaking down the mental aspects of the MA but in a mas oyama vs bruce lee fight i would bet on oyama

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my point of view the best fighter ever that I have encounter is my wife.
I saw the face of a guy who tried to steel her purse at the super market,not a prety site to see.

CadetRay
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: White Crane,boxing,muy tai,choy lay fat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorits gotta be Bruce lee n muhammah(spelling srry) ali.

http://www.geocities.com/zhusifu/

http://www.whitecrane.ws/

Chaz
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: San Soo, Jeet Kune Do, Wu Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two favorite fighters that I'm actually educated about. Those two are Jimmy Woo and Bruce Lee...

Jimmy H. Woo brought my art over to the US and, after around 15 years or so, decided to teach not only chinese but all Americans that seeked his knowledge. I've learned many stories about him and his lineage from my sifu and my research, he was an impressive man that is responsible for my ability to practice San Soo...

Bruce Lee I admire not because of Fists of Fury or Chinese Connection, but because of his philosophies and how he lived. I've read many books about him as well as his book(Tao of Jeet Kun Do) and he was an exceptional fighter along with his ideals...Though I don't agree with alot of things he belived, he was still a great man that deserves recognition for changing the Martial community in America.

Son Goku the monkeyking
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tan tui kung-fu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuggish wrote:
doesnt get much better than ali for some entertaining fighting.

I heard that

PEACE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm... a fight between jimmy woo and bruce lee?

AngryMatt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, BJJ, Freestyle wrestling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helio Gracie. Of course, I am biased because I love the Gracie school and you have to go with the original right?

Royce is a fantastic competitor and did well in the original UFC and in PRIDE, but he seemed to eager to lay back in guard.

And as for Helio once again... I mean the guy fought Masahiko Kimura, inventor of the Kimura lock... which happens to be my favorite submission.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: