Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Breakdancer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: 2 questions, about chen style tai chi and kung fu books Reply with quote

Hey all i was just wondering how much knowledge can be attained in kung fu books. because in the city i am in, The kung fu school teaches about 5 1/2 hours a week, but its 4 or 3 kung fu styles all at once. So I want to know if kung fu books that teach kung fu will be any help on further instruction when i'm not in the school. So does anyone know if kung fu books help any?

And my second question, does anyone know if chen style tai chi chaun is any good for fighting?

paolung
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chen style taijiquan is one of the more reknowned systems of taiji fighting, but you must train hard to become proficient in ANY system. taijiquan systems traditionally have a relatively long curve for skill, meaning they usually take a while to be usable in a real fight.

books are good for reference material, not really good to "learn" a system persay but perhaps to see other perspectives and refine what you know to some extent.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIth books, you can get the basics down, I've read several martial arts books ( i also train at a martial arts school) and they provide a good description of the basics. But only if you follow them word for word and do exactly as they say and make no errors. otherwise you'll develop bad habits. also you will need to train daily
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: