Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BritNoob
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: A question about Gi bottoms Reply with quote

I've only been wearing my gi for a month or so and ever since I got it I've found the bottoms off putting and a real distraction during training.

They just don't seem to fit right. It's a Blitz heavy gi and the bottoms are done up by looping the 2 side strings through the holes and tying them at the front. However they are way too wide for me so i have to pulll them very tight (which has already split the seam once so i had to sew it up) and I frequently have to check them during training as they begin to gradually slip. It's not just this either, they don't fit very well all round. I'd like to pull thenm up a little higher but the crotch is too tight (even though the rest of them is really baggy).

I was wondering if there was a different type of gi bottom I could buy. It may be a silly question I guess but are there other styles eg like tracksuit or jogging bottoms where there is elastic. Even if this isn't possible then i'd still like to buy a second pair (that hopefully fit better).

Because of my skinny tall build I need long trousers that are also small around the waist. I've lost weight around my stomach since i started training too so i'm only like 34 inches at the most. I thik my current gi is a 175 if that means anything to you guys? Is there a good place in the UK that I could pick up a decent set of Gi bottoms or do you need to buy the whole gi at once?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kick-Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to get a gi that has elasticated bottoms. Most of the Adidias ones have these!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or if you're handy with a needle and thread (or know someone who is!) then remove the ties and sew elastic round the top of the waist.

A bloke in my club has done that with his gi's. He's built like a beanpole, so all of his gi bottoms used to slip down when training, unless he tied them so tight that he couldn't breathe! He got his wife to sew elastic on the waistband of them and he's had no trouble since.

The only problem with buying a pair of gi bottoms with elastic already on is that they only tend to sell elasticated gi trousers (at least, in the UK anyway) on the lightweight range of gi's. The medium and heavyweight gi's tend to only come with tied bottoms.

You can buy separate gi bottoms from most martial arts suppliers.

The one I really recommend is Playwell.

They're a UK supplier and they sell their own range of gi's in white and black (or black and white). I've had separate gi bottoms from them before and they're decent. Cheap prices too.

Other than that, try the Blitz website.

Sheffield Steelers!

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about suspenders? the only drawback is the metal clips taht connect it to the top of the pant. Those might smart a bit if someone kicks you there and the push back into your stomach. But hey, no pain, no gain!

Actually, an elastic waist is usually, in my experience, more comfortable. I wear either that, or the traditional drawstring waist. I think I have maybe 6-8 assorted gi's and parts of gi's (mix and match some days) that seem to have accumulated over the years.

I hate those "pro" pants that lace up like a shoe in the front. They ride low on the waist like you're describing, and they just don't feel right to me.

torris
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwon TKD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have problems with the waist, but I do have issues with the pant leg. It always gets under foot.

I just took them up alittle and fixed the issue.

But, I was looking and I believe someone stated about Adidas. So I won't repeat.

BritNoob
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I had another lesson where the gi was distracting me and taking my focus away from learning. I have to stop doing what I'm doing to keep pulling them up and tying them.

I've found medium weight elastic ones, will these look odd if I wear them with a heavy weight top?

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritNoob wrote:

I've found medium weight elastic ones, will these look odd if I wear them with a heavy weight top?

naw, I've done that before. I've got quite a few gi's and I often 'mix and match' the tops & bottoms (usually, if I'm gonna be late for class and I'm rushing out of the house - I usually just grab whatever gi top and pants I can. Sometimes, I don't always check closely to see if I have a top and a bottom, I've gone to training several times with either 2 pairs of trousers or 2 gi tops... luckily my club has a 'spares' box with old gi's in it, so I usually just help myself from there and hope no-one notice!).

Sheffield Steelers!

BritNoob
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So elastic/cord is what I'm after?

What about these Blitz ones?

http://www.blitzsport.com/karate/whtpants.htm

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giko do a lovely Silver Tournament gi with elastic bottoms. It's one of the few heavyweight gi with elastic waist. If I were you I'd splash out and go for the whole gi as the top is a fantastic cut too, it has a longer length so the top does not ride up under the belt. It looks really smart.
I bought one and I would honestly say it was the best buy.

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritNoob wrote:
So elastic/cord is what I'm after?

What about these Blitz ones?

http://www.blitzsport.com/karate/whtpants.htm

I have some of those - they're pretty good, considering the cheapness of the price.

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: