Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
I have been watching several Web pages and reading a lot of articles on magazines about Jeetkunedo/kali/muay thai, etc..
Im a bit curious.. Why all those arts seems to be teach together.. I mean..
The Schools i watched that offer JKD lessons.. they also offer Muaythai and Kali and sometimes, wing chun and BJJ..
So what's the connection between those arts?

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Inosanto is the main connection. Inosanto is one of 3 people actually certified by Lee to teach "JKD". Prior to that, Inosanto was well versed in Kali, Silat and many other arts. JKD concepts people tend to learn the other arts in conjuction with Jun Fan Kung Fu. There are many "original JKD" or "Nucleus" students that think that we shouldn't train in Kali or Silat to add to our "JKD" but I don't care. It works and it works well.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you want to train only in JKD, you must find some of those " Original" JKD intructors...
who are the other 2 guys besides Master Inosanto that were certified by Lee himself??

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the names, but one guy is passed on and the other doesn't teach anymore. But if you want to train in only "JKD" then you can go to a nucleus guy that will try to teach you "original" JKD. I feel these guys don't understand the whole concept of JKD as being a dynamic and evolving art. If you want to fight like Bruce, then go ahead and try, you'll have a 1% chance of getting what worked for him to work for you.
You might be able to find a concepts teacher that will teach you only "JKD". But don't ask for JKD, ask for Jun Fan Gung Fu. JKD would be the philosophy of the fighting, Jun Fan would be Bruce's "original" system.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: