Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

drago's
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Karate, Krav Maga, Aiki do, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Kick boxing, Street fighting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Advice!!! Please!!! Reply with quote

Hi, i'm David from Mexico i have a self defense school in mexico city, my students mostly are 'bout 17 to 20 years old i have like 250 students and i am running out of ideas, i usually practice tae kwon do, jiu ji tsu, boxing and kick boxing, but my creativity in runnig dryso i nees some advice, i need to prepare the subject of low kick, they know already how to do it but they need to practice it a lot, what i did with my students last year, i bought 1 watermelon per student and they had to break the watermelon with the low kick, and i need a new idea for that.

Some help? Please!!!!

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 250 students you must be doing something right!!!

We should be asking your advice!!

Hard to say without knowing the rest of your curriculum. Do you practice throws and take downs? My students love those.

drago's
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Karate, Krav Maga, Aiki do, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Kick boxing, Street fighting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the martial arts for 25 years now (i'm 32) i have studied TKD, karate, Krav maga, Kick boxing, Boxing, Aiki do, Jiu Jitsu and i have been in lots i meen loots of street fights, and with time and dedication i managged to accomplish my dream i wanted to be an instructor, and i also studied something like adults and young adults psicology, so i keep my guys motivated a lot and they seem to respond well, i am not in any kind of association, im an independent teacher who has his own school and thats all, and most of all i teach as modern needs, i mean, my country is not a nice place to live (security) and here are lots of bad neighborhoods.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: training Reply with quote

Drago,

White Tiger is exactly correct. You are doing many things right!!! 250 students do not usually flock to a poor instructor.

There is nothing wrong with repeating a lesson every once in a while (especially one as important a low kicks). Kicking watermelons is cool. Also, try some circut training. They can kick a different type of target at each station.

For example: Station 1, kick with the right leg in the air. Station 2, Kick a bag with the right leg. Station 3, defend a punch and kick to the leg of your opponent. Stations 4,5, and 6 can be the same on the opposite side. Station 7, kick a heavy bag as hard as possible.

Time the duration at each station, blow a whistle when they should change.

Get the idea?

I think you're probably doing just fine.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 melons? That's a lot. Are they pretty cheap down there?

Perhaps the usage of something more permanent, like pads. This will let the another person "feel" the impact as well. Plus, they are not as messy.

ncole_91
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like lots of ppl are saying, just ask the students, but wow 250 students, you are doing awesome and you have an amazing amout of experience. Good luck with that

drago's
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the advice.

I liked the idea of the series and i used it and it was really great for the students, i prepeared the session and just when i started they realized that it was something new for them and they were very excited, and they did a great job.

Thank you very much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: