Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Makoto
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also incorporated some japanese things such as terminology and a basic history of okinawan karate the kids love to learn these types of things and I am learning with them. Thanks again for the input.

You are using japanese terminology, why??

You are American Karate, why would you want to use Japanese terms?
It is not even a Japanese style of karate you are doing!

That just does not make sense to me. You are not in Japan, so why try to speak Japanese. Also are you fluent in Japanese, because otherwise I dear say you are saying to pronouciations of these Japanese words wrong.

So you are teaching kids, these things to make it more fun for them. What happens when these kids grow up, you going to say all that stuff about orgins of karate, and those Japanese words is just kids stuff.

OR are you going to lead them to think that what you are teaching has a direct relation to karate in Japan?

Are you American Karate or not? If you are then why confuse it with things that are not even relevant to American Karate.

Also if you are going to try and trace some orgins of American Karate, you would also have to include the orgins of boxing as well. Seeing how some of American Karate includes boxing techniques.

Makoto

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When studying in these modern styles with "no roots" you should at least check what are the instructor's credentials. At best, he's a good black belt in a traditional style but wanted to do it differently. At worst, he's a failed blue belt in a traditional style and wanted to boost his ego by starting his own modern style and awarding himself a black belt.

tenkamusou
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.. like most people here said, it's good that u want to know the history of your style... but sometimes the style is so young that you're being part of the history ya know?

And another thing, I agree with all the people that said that u should check your sensei background, but that doesn't mean anything in my opinion...

as a student, you're the one that make the reflection of the style, no the sensei...

but that's just my opinion...

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenkamusou wrote:
And another thing, I agree with all the people that said that u should check your sensei background, but that doesn't mean anything in my opinion...

I tend to disagree. If your instructor truly made everything up last year, he should at least say so on the brochure. Anything else would be misleading - in my opinion anyway. The term 'karate' signifies a long tradition and if you have no ties whatsoever to any karate, you should at least say so if you are teaching karate - even if you call it "american", "mexican" or 'french' for that matter.

americankarategal
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: american karate, RyuKyu Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness people don't be so hard on me I am just trying to see if anyone else is a part of a dojo that dubs itself American Karate and if so what their sensei' teaches them, is it just technique or is it some type of background to it ? I live in a fairly small town and he is the only instructor in it? He did get his training from another school his sensei' has been teaching 20 years, and about a year after recieving his blackbelt he opened his own dojo. I teach the japanese terminology because, we use the japanese words for the stances, blocks, punches ect..Yes I speak it correctly our sensei' that teaches judo trained in okinawa and was very fluent in the language, and helps me with that. I just want more information on the style and if it is even a legitament style. I did not realize that someone that only has blue belt could make up their own stuff and promote themselves??? Anyway thanks for your opinions.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't being hard on you personally (at least I wasn't). Just saying that "American Karate" can be just about anything.

americankarategal wrote:
I did not realize that someone that only has blue belt could make up their own stuff and promote themselves???

There are lots of frauds in the martial arts business. If a teacher is authorized by some commonly recognized organization or style it is usually safe to bet he knows what he is doing. But sadly, some people go the other way, they fake a history so they don't have to wait a few more years to be the respected teacher he so much wants to be.

There are many stories of people who have forged certificates from people long since dead or who never existed, the world is full of "International Organizations" founded by these people, just so they can say to inquiries that "we are authorized by organization Z".

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I would start by asking the sensei what are the styles that have influenced "American Karate". From there you can do a search and get the history.

Many schools have "American" or "United States" in their names but really teach a traditional style or base themselves on several traditional styles. Good luck.

Makoto
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason I asked is my sensai doesn't teach any history of the art

(it is not sensai, it is spelled sensei, I hope you do not say sensai, cause if you do you already shown that you got the pronounciations shagged up)

Just the simple fact that he does not teach any history or art could mean he does not know any.

I am not attacking you, but please give me a reason why American Karatewould want to speak Japanese terms. What is up with that?

Sure, there is a big debate in the Japanese styles of karate if we should be using Japanese terminology.

Yes the kids love it, they like the idea they can play samurai/Japanese for a little while. Gaaag

Contriving some histroy also gives your club some validity. If you want the real history of your style ask your instructor. If he can not answer you then ask him for permission to ask his teacher where he learned everything.

If you get the run around, or are told no, then you know you are being fooled and taken for your money. Also then you should realize your instructor is now using you to find out some history so he can use it for himself.

The simple fact your instructor does not teach you history is suspect. How long has he trained? Who taught his instructor and who taught his instructor's instructor? Where did the particular style of karate you do come from? The first person who should be able to give you an answer is your instructor.

To end I am not attacking you. You sound like a nice person. I am getting the feeling you might be being taken advantage of that's all.

americankarategal
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: american karate, RyuKyu Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all you guys concern, it really makes me begin to wonder, I know he will not want me to ask his instructor anything because they ended on bad terms so I don't know where I should look next. Maybe I should let it lie. As far as why AMERICAN KARATE should use japanese terminology because we are taught japanese blocks,kicks,stances, and punches ect... and sensei' counts out our movements in japanese. I have about come to the conclusion that American Karate just means a japanese art taught by an american anyways. Thanks for your concern and opinions, if you find anything else that may help let me know please.

by the way thanks for proof reading my last post, I'll start sending you my term papers if you don't mind.

bustr
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate as it is taught in the USA IS an Americasn art. Look at all of the fighting techniques such as side thrust, roundhouse and spinning kicks as well as jabs, crosses and ridgehands that don't occur in ANY traditional Asian forms. What most Americans would identify as "Karate" is actually a combination of Savate and boxing popularized by American born Bruce Lee. The only"karate" left in American Karate is in the katas.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: