Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

destroyer4147
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: American Kenpo Gi's Reply with quote

What is the official Gi used by American Kenpo stylists from Ed Parker's Organization.

I've seen the patch of the association, but I cant read the brand on the label of the gis.

I know that:
Shotokan JKA uses Tokaido
Kyokushin IKO uses Isami

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no official brand. Just get a good one, or it won't last. And most AK schools wear black, but not all. So check with your school to see what they want. Also, if they do grappling, you might want to get a ghi that's made for that. Really sucks patching and replacing ties!

Just curiouse, but why do you ask? Are you in, or thinking about joining an American Kenpo school?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one particular brand of gi that an AK stylist uses, or many other system of MA for that matter. It just depnds on the qaulity of the gi that most look for, so that means any gi from a Tokaido to a Shureido to a Tiger Claw.

destroyer4147
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train in Kyokushin. My buddy just got his black belt under an Ed Parker school in Pasadena and now he is "allowed" to wear the black gi. He wants to know what either Ed Parker himself used or what the most popular, if not "official" brand is for American Kenpo.

Most of his senpai use Shureido, as does his sensei, but the gi that he was issued when he first signed up was a Macho. That is why he is confused.

Personally, when I get better, I'm getting an Isami K-700 for sure.

www.Isami.co.jp

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroyer4147 wrote:
I train in Kyokushin. My buddy just got his black belt under an Ed Parker school in Pasadena and now he is "allowed" to wear the black gi. He wants to know what either Ed Parker himself used or what the most popular, if not "official" brand is for American Kenpo.

Most of his senpai use Shureido, as does his sensei, but the gi that he was issued when he first signed up was a Macho. That is why he is confused.

Personally, when I get better, I'm getting an Isami K-700 for sure.

www.Isami.co.jp

If your friend wants to shell out the $$$, then he can buy a Tokaido or Shureido(up to $200). Otherwise he can buy a decent Macho heavyweight, Ki heavyweight, and any other brand for that matter and save $$$.

Figure if he's gonna stick w/it for life, he'll go through his share of uniforms.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what brand of ghi Mr. Parker prefered, but in the early days I've heard that everyone wore a heavy weight Judo ghi, white of course. Any way, I wouldn't think the brand matters. He should just get a ghi that is comfortable, dureable, and within his budget.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta:

I recall back in the day when I started my Kenpo training, the brand of gi that was popular were the KI gi's from Japan. I use to buy at $35.00 a pop, and nowadays it runs around $135.00 through KI International. Their knockoff ones made in Taiwan/Hong Kong are still reasonable tho

whitedragond
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, Shotokan, Aikido, Judo, Kendo, Okinawan weapons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend a Heavyweight if you are just starting out.. it will survive better with grappling moves and will ease the impact of the Kenpo strikes. After "numbing" my senses, I moved to a middleweight gi and it has survived pretty well.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: