Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Doomed
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kanzen Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Any Pro Wrestling Fans? Reply with quote

Does anyone here like wrestling? I've been a fan since I was a little kid. While it was WCW and the likes of Goldberg, Hollywood Hulk Hogan, and DDP that introduced me to wrestling, it was WWF (now WWE) and guys like The Rock, Stone Cold, Chris Jericho and the like that made me stay.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any Pro Wrestling Fans? Reply with quote

Doomed wrote:
Does anyone here like wrestling? I've been a fan since I was a little kid. While it was WCW and the likes of Goldberg, Hollywood Hulk Hogan, and DDP that introduced me to wrestling, it was WWF (now WWE) and guys like The Rock, Stone Cold, Chris Jericho and the like that made me stay.

I've been a fan since Mid South Wrestling in the 70's. My dad took me to a local event for my 10th birthday, and I saw the Rock and Roll Express take on the Midnight Express. I was in Heaven! I've been to a lot of events in the 90's when the NWO was running wild (DDP, Hogan, Sting, Hall and Nash, Macho Man, etc). I was in the arena when Hall and Nash offered DDP an NWO shirt, and he took it and then Diamond Cutted them! Last year, TNA Wrestling came to town, and I took my daughter on her 10th birthday. We got to take a picture with Chris Sabin (who was the champ) and Jeff Hardy! It was awesome!

Since Sting left TNA, I have stopped watching it. I refuse to watch WWE because it's now "Entertainment"! But every once in a while, I'll youtube some old grainy "wrasslin" videos from the old days!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid I was a fan. Back in the days of the Rock and Stone Cold and DX, back in the last years of the WCW. I remember watching the final episode of Monday Nitro where it crossed over the Monday Night Raw, that was fun.

I don't watch it any more, but I still understand the Appeal. TJ Kirk said it best: "if you understand why people like Dragon Ball Z, you understand why they like Wrestling." Its a performance art in the same vein as Kung Fu movies.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others I enjoyed it when I was younger; though I was never an avid fan, and only really partook in PPVs, the games, and backyard wrestling. I was a fan of the physical activity, the technicality, rather than any of the angles or stories.

In terms of mainstream I enjoyed the Attitude Era of the WWE, but some what fell out of love of it in my late teens, as it shifted to the PG/Reality Era. At the same time I started discovering old British Wrestling, and Japanese Shoot-wrestling via the internet and the main stream lost it's charm. Then I discovered old Pancrase footage and through that the emerging MMA scene and, as my interest had always been in technical wrestling, seeing real fighting appealed to me on some level. By the way, in my parts of the wood, it was tricky to access MMA; until around 2008. We did not even have a proper MMA gym where I grew up until 2010, and competitions are still a rarity.

Then I discovered I really cannot stomach watching people injuring each other like that in a cage, and because wrestling had lost it's charm, I never looked back. I still watch particular matches where the set up is interesting, the two opponents have distinct approaches which might make for a good learning experience but I do not follow the sport at all.

I actually did pro-wrestling as a job when I was trying to make it as a professional kick-boxer; was going the route of putting together a strong amateur record before trying to break into the pro-circuit, and no one pays you to fight as an amateur.

With pro-wrestling, it is like Ballet and Opera; if you enjoy it then you enjoy it and it does not need explaining. If you do not, then no matter of explanation can make you enjoy it. However, one should at least respect the physicality, and skills, on display.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to, but I've lost interest in it over the past few years.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back to Chicago wrestling in the 70s (Dick the Bruiser, The Crusher & The Gagnes), & WCCW out of Dallas in the 80s (Kerry Von Erich & The Freebirds). I was a huge fan of the Legion of Doom. Either age, maturity or the rise of MMA (or all of the above) I just stopped watching. It became less interesting to me. Some of my buddies still love it & still go to matches (even travel to do so). But it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Pro Wrestling Fans? Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
Doomed wrote:

I've been a fan since Mid South Wrestling in the 70's. My dad took me to a local event for my 10th birthday, and I saw the Rock and Roll Express take on the Midnight Express. I was in Heaven! I've been to a lot of events in the 90's when the NWO was running wild (DDP, Hogan, Sting, Hall and Nash, Macho Man, etc). I was in the arena when Hall and Nash offered DDP an NWO shirt, and he took it and then Diamond Cutted them! Last year, TNA Wrestling came to town, and I took my daughter on her 10th birthday. We got to take a picture with Chris Sabin (who was the champ) and Jeff Hardy! It was awesome!

Since Sting left TNA, I have stopped watching it. I refuse to watch WWE because it's now "Entertainment"! But every once in a while, I'll youtube some old grainy "wrasslin" videos from the old days!

I loved Mid-South, WCW, and TNA as well, but I still watch WWE too. Plus I love to see independent shows. I just saw Big Time Wrestling last spring when it came to town.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the big boom in the 80's! Even held on through the Attitude era. A bit out of touch these days, but don't think I won't stop flipping if I see it on. In fact, one of the most enjoyable podcast in my rotation these days is Something to Wrestle with, with Bruce Prichard, who was one of Vince's inner circle during the late 80s- early 90s. It's massively fun and offers a lot of insight into the game.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big fan when I was a kid. My dad took me to see the first Wrestlemania on closed circuit TV at a local arena. We used to order the major PPV events, then the cable unscramblers came out and we were in our glory (remember those? I’m dating myself ).

I was way more upset when I found out wrestling was fake than when I found out Santa Claus was fake. Not even close. My interest faded quite a bit afterwards. I think I was pretty much done with it a little while after Hulk Hogan lost the title to the Ultimate Warrior. That was just coincidence though, because I was an ultimate warrior fan.

I loved watching what I think was called TNT. It was the weekly show hosted by Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby The Brain Heenan. That and there was a weekly show that was like a late night talk show format where the wrestlers would come on. Can’t remember the name of that one though. Saturday Night’s Main Event was always great too. I remember being stunned when Andre The Giant beat Hulk Hogan on that show. At that point it was a given that Hogan was going to win every time. I was almost as stunned by that one as I was by Douglas knocking Tyson out, if that gives any perspective.

Ah, the good old days.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it as a kid. Watching Bruno Sammartino, Buddy Rogers (My favorites) , Bob Backlund, Pat Patterson and others. I think it was the WWWF back then but may be wrong about that. I remember watching matches and you'd see the defeated bleeding and I thought it was real. Little did I know they were using razors to cut themselves and it was fake. When I got a bit older and realized everything was staged is when I lost interest. Probably around the time Stan the man, dusty rhodes, Mr. Fuji and others were coming on scene.

I have no idea, other than Hulk Hogan and the Rock, who the wrestlers are anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: