Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

At what age should children begin martial arts training?
0-5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6-10
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
11-15
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Fenris-wolf.

Karate can be learned at different levels - kids are starting a long path and are able to understand some of the ideals of karate... especially about how and when to use what they have learned (ie: not in the playground etc)... and when not to.

I have kids training with me from 7 upwards provided that they can do what I ask and try as hard as they can. I make it clear that I will not allow bully type behaviour in my classes and that improvement is relative to the student not to a hard-and-fast set of rules... I have had children with learning difficulties train with me that have gained a better sense of coordination, concentration, fitness etc - that is worthwhile in my book.

I would have liked to start younger (started at 17) as I think it would have been good for self confidence and therefore would have made my life easier through highschool (and I am not saying I would have been beating people up either).

Many of you (I think) are looking at McDojo type clubs and grouping all clubs together... If the club is doing things right then I see no problem with children training. Having said that - 3rd dan 11 year olds is something I find unacceptable.

I see no problem with shodans over 11 (if they are worthy of the grade)... but they must wait until they are atleast 16 to progress to nidan (probably better over 18 though).

Let the flaming begin!!

Andy.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Dojo takes children 5 and up, however most do not go for their first belt until they are 7 or 8. The lowest age we can receive our black belts is 14 and it is called a Shodan Ho...at age 16 they go for the belt test again to get Junior Black and at 18 they go for their Shodan. Its all the same test but it helps the association see who was in it for the belt and who was in it for the knowledge. I know that I have better application and techniques than some who have their Junior Black or Shodan Ho, but those who have their Shodan are, in my opinion, the ones who really deserve it. I do not find a problem with children learning martial arts if they are willing to learn new ideas. If you are there cause its "cool" and "wanna kick *"...well, you will be "attending" the classes, not "learning" from them.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

awayupthere
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to bet that 98% of you people that disagree with teaching kids MA, DO NOT have kids of your own.
Do i think that kids should get brn belts and blk belts, no I do Not (I am not sure what age those belts should awarded).

My 5 year old just got a yellow stripe and I can not wipe the grin off face. Do I think its a REAL yellow stripe (so-to speak) of-course not.
Does my kid have a clue what it all means, not really, all that matters is the KID IS HAVING FUN.
The thing is, the Sensei made it clear to all the parents that this is a class for the kids to get started in MA and have some fun after school. And if the kids wont to keep going they will have to work hard AND test again for there belts.
I do UNDERSTAND where you people are coming from. There are a couple of teenagers in my class that I could do with out,
but give the kids a chance
you might be surprised at how good they do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: