Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Anyone in Europe? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Anyone here from Europe? How do you find the Karate culture in Europe.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Scotland. Here, there doesn't seem to be as much of the McDojo culture that I hear from you guys from America. Most karate is taught out of hired sports halls, school gyms or church halls. I suppose martial arts is viewed as quite an unusual hobby here, and there's certainly more kids involved that adults. I think most non karate people would think it was something slightly less than respectable for grown adults to be doing karate.

Gunyo Kogusoku
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Location: Chelsea, London, U.K./Souka-Shi, Saitama-Ken, Japan
Styles: Jujutsu, Kenjutsu, Kodokan Judo, Classical Japanese weaponry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be disparraging, but pretty uneducated concerning history & culture, not to mention technique. But there are exceptions to that rule. Julian Mead and a few others who have actually gone over to Japan have done a fine job of bringing the good stuff home.

-Steve Delaney

The methods of war become the methods of peace.

kenttiensankari
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Renshinkan karatedo and MMA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheekyMusician wrote:
I'm from Scotland. Here, there doesn't seem to be as much of the McDojo culture that I hear from you guys from America. Most karate is taught out of hired sports halls, school gyms or church halls. I suppose martial arts is viewed as quite an unusual hobby here, and there's certainly more kids involved that adults. I think most non karate people would think it was something slightly less than respectable for grown adults to be doing karate.

I agree. Atleast in Finland there is not much Mcdojos, training MA is also rather cheap, so there is no future for expensive *. Black belt is also considered as weapon and it is something great and mysterious. Atleast average people thinks so. And teachers and students are more friends than just trainingbuddies. Atleast I`ve had few beers with fellow trainers. Of course there is respect to teacher but no worshipping.

Venrix
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Kyokushin Budo Kai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

I'm originally from Wales. I've been moving around within Europe for many years and I've been here in Germany for the last Eight years. I've experienced training in many Dojos throughout continental Europe and to be honest, I'm pleased with what I've experienced.

There is a terrible misconception within the Arts that the best Karateka are Japanese, that the best Jiu Jitsu Players are Brazilian, that the best Judo players are Japanese, that the best Wing Tsung men/women are Chinese.

In my experience, the best Martial Artists I have ever known or trained with have all been European. They typically have a healthy respect for the reality of violence (and we Europeans really do have our own special breed of violence - that's why the bad guy in Movies is always English) and therefore, a healthy respect for their art.

Yes, there are McDojo's. Yes - I've met a fair few muppets and puppets. But, generally - I have learned from anyone and everyone I have ever met. I've had the pleasure of training in 'spit, sweat and saw dust' 8 man Dojo's and I've known the delights of training in 300 man strong palatial Dojos. I've had the privelidge of training with 10. Dans and the honour of training with 10. Kyus. I've trained with Royal Marines and I've engaged in cerebral fisticuffs with pacifists.

Throughout all of these experiences, I have been overwhelmed by the sense of honour and respect that has permeated the hearts of these martial artists. I see consistant evidence that this is representative of the majority here in Europe.

Indeed, here in Europe the sense that one is 'leading a life of honour, strength and respect' is what keeps people in the martial arts. It may not be the original motivation for participation - but, those that stay, do it because of this sense of respect. This simply doesn't happen in Japan etc. For them, 'Combat Sports' is bigger than soccer is here in Europe. It's just the 'done' thing. It's taught as Physical Education in schools. Mothers and Children go to the arena to watch a fight in the same way that Dads here in Europe take a child to watch a football match.

I am saddened by politics in the Martial Arts. It is the one subject that I simply refuse to discuss. Politics destroys the integrity of the Arts worldwide and this problem exists in Europe as it exists throughout the world.

I am concerned only with the standards of training and the 'philosophy and approach' of Martial Arts practitioners. And I'm pleased to say that here in Europe, these standards are very high indeed.

-V-

www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)
Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: