Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Are you content with yourself? Reply with quote

The question is there. Are you content with yourself? Do you think you've become a better martial artist, not just better because you have a higher belt, but have you exceeded your own expectations or reached your goals? Do you feel like a better, well-rounded person than you used to be? Anything? If so, what do you believe made you change?

I sound like Dr. Phil giving a motivational speech on confidence. But I'm serious. Just tell me a few things you've improved in, whater you lost 5 pounds, won a sparring tournament or quit serious drug addiction, it'll give you a chance to brag and feel better about yourself

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this thread isn't entirely related to martial arts. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread if it's necessary.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I reallly like martial arts, I first started Karate since 7 months ago am 15 years of age now, and went there to the dojo to study some self defence, I was nor powerful or flexible 1 week months later I was so excited about karate and very dertimed so I study at home as well, I seen my instrutor doing splits so I practice alot but don't get far 5 months past i can do bassai-dai, empi, saifa and other two, Now i can easily kick 7'2' with my hands in my pocket can do splits, top student and looking forward to win a medal for my club and want to be an Instrutor about 2 years time.

My goal in 5 years time when am 20 is to improve my techniques and balance reciving medals kata/kumite full contact, get a black belt,
i was not expecting I weere going to be this good now am a karate assistance, and said am going to bring a medal to my friends to check it out, I use to do 20 proper press ups but now I can do around 34 press ups, I use to be a hard kicker on my right foot but now am JACK of all trades.

Am going back to my country to get my ID done so the spare time is taking up Muay thai then come back and get my rythem and grade to my green belt...I always want to compete with other students but now am trying to get more flexible and get better techniques, my muscles biceps and abs get bigger and can take good moves to hurt me, I've traind up my nuckels that I can punch a metal wall full hard on for 15 times till it bleeds, so I've become better martial artist, and gained better confidence and better attitude...Am going back to mmy country to fight with some grate thai boxers to trained me up then back to england to do some good karate.

I have been giving good advice to my fellow students and sempais in a sparring match techniques etc I use to be 51 kg 7 months ago but now am 57kg which is what Iwant putting weight so I can go to mid weigh match in tounaments.

Am looking forward to fight shotokan students and goju ryu in the UK national tounament.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Are you content with yourself? Reply with quote

Actually, I think this is an EXCELLENT thread and topic to discuss!

TheDevilAside wrote:
The question is there. Are you content with yourself? Do you think you've become a better martial artist, not just better because you have a higher belt, but have you exceeded your own expectations or reached your goals? Do you feel like a better, well-rounded person than you used to be? Anything? If so, what do you believe made you change?

Before I started the martial arts, I was rather shy and introverted and found it difficult to stand before a group and speak. Not good for a new, fresh out of college school teacher! lol I have no problems with public speaking now and I attribute that to the confidence I have gained in 29+ years in the arts. The "higher belt" thing doesn't matter to me as I've never really been into promotions. It's the knowledge I crave and seek, not a piece of cloth wrapped around my waist.

Quote:
I sound like Dr. Phil giving a motivational speech on confidence. But I'm serious. Just tell me a few things you've improved in, whater you lost 5 pounds, won a sparring tournament or quit serious drug addiction, it'll give you a chance to brag and feel better about yourself

What I've noticed most out of my training is my reactions to things. For example, if something tips over on the table, or drops to the floor...I can often catch it before it goes all the way down. Along the same lines, I used to work at a grocery store and among my many duties was stocking the beer/pop coolers. and sometimes I would drop a bottle or 6-pack of beverage and I find I can usually catch, or at least prevent that the glass from breaking by catching it with my foot. It never fails to surprise me when that happens, and again, I attribute it to my training. I'm also much more aware of whaqt's going on around me than I was before. People moving about, noises indicating a possible danger...just a heightened awareness of my surroundings that I notice my non-martial artist friends don't pick up on until I bring it to their attention.

I feel the arts have done a lot for me, and if I ever hit the lottery, I'll seek out my origional sensei and make the guy realize what his teachings have done for me, and how grateful I am for it.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really grateful for what my martial arts training has done for me. As well as giving me some nice shiny trophies and medals (I'm not so thankful for them when I have to dust them ) it has also boosted my self confidence and self esteem. Before I started karate I was very shy and suffered from an eating disorder. The training in martial arts that I have done has helped me to overcome this and to be a better person spiritually and emotionally. Plus, being able to kick butt is also an advantage!! lol

Sheffield Steelers!

Kanzashi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu-orange belt, Judo-Green belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent thread material.

I started Karate to find myself again after a collapsed marriage. I needed to centre on something solid and tangible. I needed purpose.

I got all these plus so much more from karate. New friends, new life lessons, regained focus, stamina, control, technique, fitness, it's all here. I've solidified my relationship with my daughter because she was taking it before me and given her strength.

Yes, it's all good. The feeling of euphoria I get just entering the dojo is totally overwhelming. I'm so lucky.

Mushy, but true.

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only started karate in October (only about 5 months), and I'm still a white belt (although I've been told that I'm the equivalent of a yellow, but they won't give anyone a belt except at a ceremony held twice a year).

Anyway, I've realized that I found a focus that I intend to keep for life. I feel like I've improved myself as a person, bost physically and mentally. I feel more confident at challenges in life and at work. I also feel more like I'd be much more capaple at defending myself if I ever needed to, as well as ending fights before they begin.

It's all a wonderful feeling, and my life has definitely improved over the past half-year.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a very different person when I'm not training...very out of balance. I've been told this by several people, and all agree...they like me a LOT better when I'm training. Seriously, I'm grateful for everything I've gotten from the martial arts.
"There is no spoon."

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineGuy wrote:
I'm a very different person when I'm not training...very out of balance. I've been told this by several people, and all agree...they like me a LOT better when I'm training. Seriously, I'm grateful for everything I've gotten from the martial arts.

My wife tells me the same thing!!!!

Im just a lot more pleasant to be around when I get my regular training in.

She used to complain alot about me attending class too much, then she realized I was just too annoying when I was home every night.

Darth Paul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chang Hun Tae Kwon Do, Yoseikan Budo, Autodefence Wing Tchun, American Karate, and American Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineGuy wrote:

That's too cool. My girlfriend says the same thing about me. Apparently I'm quite cranky without regular training.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: