Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

neko_shojo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu/Shotokhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my club the most promising students instruct. I have been teaching various classes(adults and children from white to brown belts) since I received my brown belt last year. I knowa blue belt who is maybe 11 who instructs white-orange belt adult and child classes becuase she has excellent technique and is a natural teacher.

tkdBill
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our association, you must be an adult black belt to enter the instructor training program. The Chief Instructor at a dojang selects instructor candidates. At a formal testing, you must correctly demonstrate all forms and one steps to enter instructor training.

After assisting in a minimum of 150 classes, participation in at least one Black Belt Camp, attendance at all testings and regional tournaments, and after a minimum of one year, you take a written, and oral test. Upon passing the test, you are eligible to go to a two day instructor certification seminar to complete your instructor training.

This process seems to work very well, because all of the instructors I know are very competent, and many are outstanding. All of them are both knowledgeble in our style and skilled in teaching.

--

kenttiensankari
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Renshinkan karatedo and MMA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some instructortraining, mostly just telling the basic rules and then some "homeworks" to do. Of course there is some other freetime activities and so on. But new instructors start with kids, lot easier to be instructor to kids than adults. Ive been now few times instructor but mostly instructors assistant or the second intructor if you wish to call it that way.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they decided to apply the whole "throw a baby in the water and see if it swims" method with me.
My "training" consisted of assisting in a few classes, haivng an instructor give me a basic rundown of class time structure one day, and then throwing me out in front of a beginner class and basically saying "teach!"

very shortly after that, they assigned me to teach every monday class. I would get extremely nurvous before the class, because id had 6 days since i last taught. At first i spoke so quietly that the students had a difficult time hearing me. To see me now, you'd think i was a different person. Now i have total confidence in my teaching ability, and 4 years of experiance.

For me, the method worked, but i dont think its a good idea. Chances of it failing are pretty high id say, not to mention the students that were under me. I'd never dream of putting someone out there like that, but i guess they knew what they were doing...

hedkikr
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Shukokai

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was "coming up", @ 5 kyu, I was asked to assist. I'd help new students & assist w/ grading. I was allowed to take over a club @ a community center as a new BB & have been teaching there ever since (14 yrs).

Now I require all intermediate students to occasionally, under my direction, monitor & assist younger students. They don't teach but are sowing the seeds for leadership. Once a student reaches BB, I'll allow them to teach a few new skills under my supervision as well as lead the intermediate/advanced class in practice of skills I determine. I then teach the beginners.

>I disagree w/ instructors who immediately "shuffle" their nubees off to their advanced students - too boring? This is when the nubees need the most & best instruction to prevent mistakes from turning into bad technique. Intermediate/advanced students have the foundation & therefore need less scrutiny. I can correct them later during the Int/Adv class.

After @ least a year of increasing responsibility & instructro training, the BB can teach on their own. Their skill as an instructor will be obvious during testing. If all is up to snuff, they get the go-ahead to launch their own club if they choose.

UpTheIrons
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had formal Instructor training a la the Kukkiwon. I began helping my Instructor after black belt in various areas. He would ask me to lead exercise, basics, basic kicking, forms, etc. He would not let me lead one step or free fighting at first, because he said the head instructor had to be there for those. Afterward, he would offer constructive criticism.
After 4th Dan, you are allowed to open your own school within the organization. Before 4th Dan, you are considered an apprentice under your instructor. You may teach and recommend, but not judge or sign testing applications.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my primary dojo, I was asked to teach a class on emergency notice one day, the Instructor called me and told me he wouldn't be in. It was my first class to teach, i was a 1st brown at the time (2nd kyu/gup) and had just started at this dojo. After that, the students told the Instructor that I did a great job, so he started having me assist and stuff. After I acheived Jr. Black I was eligible to line up with the Instructor facing the students. I then became relied on for teaching when the Instructor was out. At the end of my Adult Black Belt test, I was awarded an Instructor's certificate. I didn't go through any training specifically for teaching, I learned through experience - the best way.
After that, my father and I opened a dojo. He did all the money stuff and I did all the teaching stuff. It closed down after just under two years though.
Anyway, that's how I became an Instructor. Oh yea, it took about 10 - 11 years after I started.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our school to be an instructor you must:

1. Be minimum of 3rd Dan
2. Have a first aid and CPR certificate
3. Have undertaken 6 months as an assistant instructor
4. Attended instructors training and meetings for 6 months

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: