Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Belt Display Switching Styles Reply with quote

I'm curious how you would do it.

I switched from Shorin-ryu, where the belt order was white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, brown, and black (and then the shogo belts). I made it to green.

I switched to Shotokan, where it's white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, and black. I wore white, but tested for purple recently and am awaiting the results.

If you did this, and you were going to make a belt display, how would you do it?

I considered going with the Shotokan order, but I never wore yellow through green in Shotokan, which would make it a false display - though one could argue that I technically "cruised through" those ranks, which would give it some validity.

Or, I could get a Shotokan belt display with those belts omitted. Though it would technically be correct, it wouldn't capture and reflect all the work that I've done up until that point.

There's also the possibility of the Shotokan display with those belts omitted, plus a separate Shorin-ryu display.

And, finally, the possibility of combining the two into one. Shorin-ryu to green, then right above that would be Shotokan white, then purple.

How would you do it?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just have two separate displays to make things simpler across the board. After all, it might show pride in your MA journey.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have separate displays too as they are separate styles.

It also shows your progression/journey across styles nicely i think.

I have never done one but when i re-earn my shotokan shodan i was toying with doing one with all my old belts ranking from white to black and then my new belts since i am going back through them. Thought it might look interesting! One to reflect on when i get back there!

I have always taken the view that it looks nice for a teacher / coach as it shows their progression nicely for the student body etc but not sure how it looks for a private individual. Have a feeling i might make one and end up taking it down!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: