Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Best Gi for Short Person Reply with quote

I would like to get a nice heavy weight karate gi that fits me really well -- without having to pay custom gi prices. I am 5'1", and weigh about 120 - 125. My problem is that a little too much of those pounds are around the middle. I'm not really fat, just a little "distribution challenged". Anyway, at my height I always have to hem the pants and sleeves, even if I buy tournament cut, so that's no problem. But if I get a gi that fits well around the middle, the rest of me is swimming in it, plus there is so much extra material in the back, from neck to waist, that my gi is constantly slipping backward as I train, and I have to keep tugging on it. So far my best fitting gi has been the Juka Emerald. I also have a Tokon (Kamikaze) America and Tokon Spirit. A friend with similar size issues recommended a Toyo, and my teacher said that Shureido is also good for people with stocky builds like myself. The Shureido goes for upwards of $200 U.S., and I think the Toyos are around $160. I wouldn't mind paying this much if I knew it was going to fit really well, but I haven't been able to find anyplace that stocks them so I have to order by mail and can't try them on first. Does anyone on here have a similar size profile, with experience with either of these karate gis, or another that fits well? If I have to I will have one custom made, but that's a lot of money!!

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty stocky, 5'6", 12.5 stone (175 pounds) and broad-backed to boot, and my Kamikaze Kaiten Europa is a pretty good fit. The legs aren't too long and the sleeves are ok (though I roll them up to mid-forearm length anyway).

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tournament cut gis tend to have shorter sleeves and pants with a longer jacket. You say you have "so much extra material in the back, from neck to waist." Does that mean that tournament cut gi jackets are too long for you? If so, and you're hemming sleeves and pants anyway, maybe a standard cut gi would fit you better. Maybe not. If you have a local vendor, you might want to try some on. Just a thought.

I assume you're not in the Los Angeles area, but in case you are, the main distributor for Toyo is KI International in L.A. and Shureido U.S.A. is in nearby Orange County, CA.

Making fit recommendations over the internet is tough. People with the same build won't necessarily like the same fit. Since you didn't mention it, I assume you're not a woman. Women tend to have narrower shoulders, so a stocky woman might find a gi that fits their chest or belly, but find that material bunches up at the shoulders.

You did say you like the Juka Emerald cut, but I'm not familiar with how it differs from other cuts, so can't help you there. Maybe someone else can.

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dragonbleu.fr/distributor-and-shop-for-karate-gi-uniform.html

I dont recommend BUYING from this site but they have excellent rating and comparison systems for a lot of different Gi's that you could possibly find a bit cheaper elsewhere.

The ratings and comparisons compare the following factors:
Cut: (eg) large
Trousers: (eg) Pull close
Jacket: (eg) longer, shorter sleeves

Then visual scale indications of:
Weight: Light -> Heavy
Surface: Soft -> Hard
Drying: Slow -> Fast
Durability: Short -> Long

And then:
Weight: (eg) 1.90 kgs
Expedition/Shipping: (eg) 24/48Hrs
Price: (eg) €130.01

With this much info on each Gi, plus a full description from the manufacturer and decent photographs with close-ups, it's a brilliant site to decide on your Gi. Then buy it wherever you can find it. I didn't buy mine there because of billing errors on the site.

Actually, here's a screenshot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: