Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Blind faith or Test!!! Reply with quote

Nice short article, I am sure that Sensei8 and Mr A would likely agree.
Posted link here as I am sure that they would enjoy the shared opinion,
http://andrebertel.blogspot.com/2019/07/ido-kihon-elucidating-blind-faith.html

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, short, and to the point article by Andre Bertel; most assuredly so, I liked it. Thank you for the article, Bulltahr!!

Blind faith; I don't subscribe to that believe because there's so valid substance to it. The floor is unforgiving in its silent witnessing, and holds no compassion of what it's a witness of.

Taste and see that it is good, and the only way to know if its good or not is to taste it. Not once, not twice, but as much as it might be necessary to satisfy YOUR expectations of 'IT'!! Not mine, not your Sensei's, not any governing body, and/or not your fellow MAist...but YOURS. If I don't taste [test] it, then I've no one else to blame, but me alone. That's a dangerous way to meander through the MA.

Why??

It's YOUR MA betterment, and your MA betterment demands that proof is on the floor!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Bulltahr

I am a fan of André Bertel, also as Shotokan was my first martial art as a teenager, so I follow him with genuine admiration and interest.

However his path is his and not mine as my path has strayed from karate.

Wing Chun is my base MA system and have branched out in to other systems that have enriched my thirst for MA knowledge and practice, my roots have always been karate; as there is no escaping that.

Having no reference points only Shotokan to go by at that time, looking back I can hardly believe how many times I was knocked down and for some unknown reason and kept standing up for more LOL

Being so skinny in my karate gi, 5'7" with a 24" waistline might give you some idea how skinny that is; had to do my shopping for clothes in the kids section, just to find something in my size LOL

Back as a teenager practicing Shotokan, my brain just wasn't mature enough to understand martial art concepts well enough, no matter how hard I tried LOL

Now in my 60s I feel like a walking encyclopedia of MA concepts and strategies and consume more of them like breakfast daily LOL

With Andre I wish him well, he has a point of view with blind faith...

Faith for me is something constantly being tested, all one can do is train intelligently and persistently and hope for the best but if not bring it on, as I'm as prepared better than ever and not going down without a fight LOL

As I came in to this world kicking and screaming, no reason why it wouldn't be the same on my way out but this time with style LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: