Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Bottom Side Escape Comparison Reply with quote

This past week we looked at escape from bottom side thru the lens of recovering guard. As we moved into the latter portions of the week we looked at unexpected methods to do this. While we shot our weekly footage, one of our affiliate Brown Belts with a strong wrestling background was over and we did this little compare and contrast video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F9MfNEUTBo

So, take a look at the two techniques. Tell me what overarching principles you see displayed. What differences drive options in each? Any observations?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:
Tell me what overarching principles you see displayed.

Personally, I don't see any overarching principles. I see necessary arching principles to achieve there separate goals.

Quote:
What differences drive options in each?

One is to initiate an escape to gain working orientation, while the other resets into a more favorable position after the escape.

Quote:
Any observations?

I immediately observed the sensitivity of both in the initial approaches to fuel the escape, and that was that either of them ran the risk, and a sensible risk, of having the movements stalled immediately, therefore, the initial plan for either escape might've been foiled.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:

Personally, I don't see any overarching principles. I see necessary arching principles to achieve there separate goals.

Quote:

One is to initiate an escape to gain working orientation, while the other resets into a more favorable position after the escape.

Quote:
Any observations?

I immediately observed the sensitivity of both in the initial approaches to fuel the escape, and that was that either of them ran the risk, and a sensible risk, of having the movements stalled immediately, therefore, the initial plan for either escape might've been foiled.

I think there are some commonalities. Regardless of direction of escape, the ability to turn one's hips is critical. It's one of those things in jiu jitsu that is almost universal, the ability to move the hips into an advantageous posture.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with you assessment on the differences and observations of them.

Very nice.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Any observations?

I think there are some commonalities. Regardless of direction of escape, the ability to turn one's hips is critical. It's one of those things in jiu jitsu that is almost universal, the ability to move the hips into an advantageous posture.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with you assessment on the differences and observations of them.

Very nice.

Hips fuel so much in the MA, no matter the style! No hips...no success!!

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Alex, ITs Always good to have options. with me personally I would use either depending on the pressure I feel from the person on top. Also the first technique could cause a scramble type situation which I'm comfortable with. Each move has it's place. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: