Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Boxing gloves warp ones technique? Reply with quote

Hi, after a month into boxing I'm wondering if my current concern is usual. Whenever I put on the 160z gloves and do basic combinations against my partners gloves, I don't feel my body movement is in sync with my punches, and my punches themselves get warped.

1. Gloves slow down the motion, negating the snap motion I have without gloves on. The gloves on my partner that I target to punch inhibit, rather than help my punching.

2. The weight and form of the gloves seem to warp my technique subconsioussly whenever I punch another persons glove, making me look quite mediocre relative to bareknuckled.

3 My partner is suboptimal at understanding how to hold his own gloves, in order for me to punch them most effectively. Also issue with distance, height, warping my techniques further.

Note that I am serious pupil and understand the bodymechanics behind punching well enough, but the points below are clear obstacles. Isn't it better to skip punching each others gloves, given that beginners are clueless how to hold them? It hurts more than help my progression at this point.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that this is all we do as beginners, punching each others gloves.. There is no bagwork. I will just develop bad habits from this having partners who don't know how to hold the target.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing gloves do not allow you to make a proper fist, either. There could be a tendency for one to stick out ones thumb while training without gloves.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Boxing gloves do not allow you to make a proper fist, either. There could be a tendency for one to stick out ones thumb while training without gloves.

I haven't found this to be case. It' mostly the weight factor of the glove that warps my technique. My arm does not follow through the motion as naturally and the hand positioning is more strained.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxing gloves warp ones technique? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Hi, after a month into boxing I'm wondering if my current concern is usual. Whenever I put on the 160z gloves and do basic combinations against my partners gloves, I don't feel my body movement is in sync with my punches, and my punches themselves get warped.

1. Gloves slow down the motion, negating the snap motion I have without gloves on. The gloves on my partner that I target to punch inhibit, rather than help my punching.

2. The weight and form of the gloves seem to warp my technique subconsioussly whenever I punch another persons glove, making me look quite mediocre relative to bareknuckled.

3 My partner is suboptimal at understanding how to hold his own gloves, in order for me to punch them most effectively. Also issue with distance, height, warping my techniques further.

Note that I am serious pupil and understand the bodymechanics behind punching well enough, but the points below are clear obstacles. Isn't it better to skip punching each others gloves, given that beginners are clueless how to hold them? It hurts more than help my progression at this point.

So if I may...

Yes the gloves are heavier but you need them to protect your hands. I mean the core issue of the problem is you- lack of snap isn't the fault of the gloves, its the fault of you. This isn't a "yes or no" in terms of "do you know how to throw a punch" and more about "how well do you know how to throw a punch."

I'm with you about the gloves inhibiting a bit, but this is a blessing not a curse. Consider, what gives snap and speed to a boxer isn't so much the attack itself but the recoil after the punch has hit its target. A common problem most people have is focusing on the attack but relaxing and being completely oblivious to the recoil. If your punches lack that snap and feel sluggish this sounds to be the issue. You need to consciously think about engaging your shoulders and delts to pull the punch back with as much "intention" as there was when you threw it.

The same applies to sub par pad holders. Sure enough it is annoying as hell when someone hasn't a clue how to hold mitts, especially when they keep their hands (your target) 3 feet apart from one another.... but again this has potential...

Everyone loves hitting pads and loves hitting the bag because you KNOW its going to be there when you swing- you can always rely on that "pop." The most important thing IMO is shadow boxing. The greater the discrepancy between your shadow, bag work, and pad work, the greater the difficulty you'll have sparring/fighting. This is because you cant rely on your punches to always make contact. If you cant control your punches (read: your balance) you're going to have a lot of difficulty. A poor padholder can be a blessing in this sense because you have no idea if hes going to get the pads there in time or not! As such don't wait for him but fire that combo out the way you do with the power you do. If it hits great and if it misses it should already be forgotten by the time the following punch is thrown. It becomes a great way to help bridge that gap between shadow boxing and sparring. What you'll then find is that you only have as much practical power as your ability to keep your balance allows- this is why you can see a guy kill the bag in the gym but hit like a pussycat in the ring, and why a seemingly thin or small guy can hit like a mack truck....

Hope this helps...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxing gloves warp ones technique? Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:

So if I may...

Yes the gloves are heavier but you need them to protect your hands. I mean the core issue of the problem is you- lack of snap isn't the fault of the gloves, its the fault of you. This isn't a "yes or no" in terms of "do you know how to throw a punch" and more about "how well do you know how to throw a punch."

I'm with you about the gloves inhibiting a bit, but this is a blessing not a curse. Consider, what gives snap and speed to a boxer isn't so much the attack itself but the recoil after the punch has hit its target. A common problem most people have is focusing on the attack but relaxing and being completely oblivious to the recoil. If your punches lack that snap and feel sluggish this sounds to be the issue. You need to consciously think about engaging your shoulders and delts to pull the punch back with as much "intention" as there was when you threw it.

The same applies to sub par pad holders. Sure enough it is annoying as hell when someone hasn't a clue how to hold mitts, especially when they keep their hands (your target) 3 feet apart from one another.... but again this has potential...

Everyone loves hitting pads and loves hitting the bag because you KNOW its going to be there when you swing- you can always rely on that "pop." The most important thing IMO is shadow boxing. The greater the discrepancy between your shadow, bag work, and pad work, the greater the difficulty you'll have sparring/fighting. This is because you cant rely on your punches to always make contact. If you cant control your punches (read: your balance) you're going to have a lot of difficulty. A poor padholder can be a blessing in this sense because you have no idea if hes going to get the pads there in time or not! As such don't wait for him but fire that combo out the way you do with the power you do. If it hits great and if it misses it should already be forgotten by the time the following punch is thrown. It becomes a great way to help bridge that gap between shadow boxing and sparring. What you'll then find is that you only have as much practical power as your ability to keep your balance allows- this is why you can see a guy kill the bag in the gym but hit like a pussycat in the ring, and why a seemingly thin or small guy can hit like a mack truck....

Hope this helps...

Great reply.

I'd add that often you train in heavier gloves than you fight in to develop stamina and punching power. When you go from 16oz to 10oz you'll be faster.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxing gloves warp ones technique? Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:

So if I may...

Hope this helps...

Solid post!!

alexeric
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had problems with the knuckles in my right hand since i was younger.. i've been trying different things: i've tried the ringside gel shock glove wraps but they take up too much space in my glove to the point where my hands get numb after a while. do the knuckle guards help? i was thinking of getting the extra long mexican style handwraps and just wrapping around my knuckles a bit more.. what do you guys do? if it helps, i train in the reyes heavy bag gloves.. please help out a fellow boxer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: