Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Bringing in interstate/international instructors Reply with quote

Hi all,

For those who are in the management game of their school or operate as a "head instructor" underneath their CI.

How much were you charged or offered to pay to have an instructor to come out to your school? and how did it differ if they were an interstate or international instructor?

People like Jesse Enkamp Sensei or Patrick McCarthy Hanshi could theoretically charge a decent amount, as they are well respected authority figures. And that is in part how they earn their living, by doing seminars.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies pretty widely. My Sensei used to charge $500, plus travel/lodging, and I charge a bit less than that, but I believe big name international instructors tend to charge over $1000, plus travel/lodging. With a big enough name, and in the right area, you can usually pull in enough attendees to cover the costs, but it can be tough.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on who it is and how much of a pull they have. At the very least you can expect to pay travel and hotel expenses.

Coming at it from the other side, the most I've paid to attend a course was €250 for a 2 day course.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
It varies pretty widely. My Sensei used to charge $500, plus travel/lodging, and I charge a bit less than that, but I believe big name international instructors tend to charge over $1000, plus travel/lodging. With a big enough name, and in the right area, you can usually pull in enough attendees to cover the costs, but it can be tough.

i'm guessing those seminars were primarily in the US?

Being in Australia, I feel like it would put a lot of people off purely because of the expenses.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

i'm guessing those seminars were primarily in the US?

Being in Australia, I feel like it would put a lot of people off purely because of the expenses.

Yes, this is in the US, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about the cost to the hosting school? The cost to attendees is definitely not the same--generally, the host sets the price per attendee in order to recoup the costs of bringing the instructor out, and depends on both the cost and the number of training hours. For example, a seminar that's just a couple hours might be $30-60. A weekend can range anywhere from $100 to $300, depending on who is teaching. Some special seminar events, like Jesse Enkamp's KNX, can cost more like $600, but that's pretty rare.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our CI periodically brings in high-level instructors for seminars -- since I've been attending, he has brought James Thompson (judan, his instructor, president of our organizatiton), Darin Yee (kudan, president of the IUKF), and Seishi Itokazu (kudan Matayoshi Kobudo, judan Uechi-Ryu) in to run seminars and advanced dan examinations. I am not sure what the guest instructors charge, but our costs for the seminars have been very reasonable (less than $100).

I hope as COVID starts to get under control, we can see more guest instructors in the future.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've done for the most part is trade. I'll go to their dojo and then they'll come to mine, and vice versa. When that doesn't pan out, and they're not charging an arm and a leg, then I'll meet their cost.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hosting one’s seniors and instructor is one of the ways that might be possible to pursue training if opening a dojo/school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: