Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dojo Dan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sandman's advice was 100% correct.

Also, your Location is important as well. What is the "competition" in the area where you wish to open your dojo? If there are other Dojo's close to your area, it will be hard to tap into that market, even if your style is totally different.

A suggestion before even attampting to open up a dojo, would be to have a "following first". Others have mentioned it in their posts above, but it makes things so much easier to start your own business when you have a "ready made clientel" (sp) List.

You may want to consider attempting to start a Program Teaching at a Local YMCA, Church, or Gym. That way you don't have the Overhead of the DOJO rent etc. You can build up a student base, make some money in the mean time and when the timing is right get the Building.

Working with the YMCA etc route, you can offer your services and charge a fee as a percentage based upon the amount of kids you teach. That way you make money, the "building or Sponsor" also makes money. It's a Win-Win and a great start towards your goal!!

Ps. Besides the Rent and Office space bills, Advertisment and Insurance will be your biggest cost. I would almost rank it
1) Insurance
2) Advertisment
3) Rent
4) Operating business expense

So 2k a month is not out of the picture in fixed costs to run a DOJO.

-DD

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to consider starting out teaching in your garage and once you get a good student base then consider going on to a larger facility. It would also be good to do demonstartions so the public can get to know you and your way of doing things. Also, if you are not part of an association or larger group you should consider joining one. They can help with a great many things like advertising, increasing certification, and letting the public see you are with a larger group than if you are solo.
It might also be advisable to go to your local police station and ask if you could teach them a self-defense class or arresting techniques. If you do this do not charge anything the first time and if you do a good job it could lead to some becoming students and/or them having you teach a regular class.
Hope this helps you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: