Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Mo_Tseu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This question was several times discussse, but Idon't think my argument was ever pointed out.

I train several kinds of kung fu at the same time, silat and kali ,because my teacher is pitching them to me like that and I don't find it hard in switching styles.

I think that it all become one at last.
The only limit you have is to not cross-train internal and external martial arts.

counichiwa

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

counichiwa to you to. they can be put together easly and the moves can work well. i hope this is what you mean.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I believe that you can cross train internal and external martil arts.

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure external and internal would be okay, not so sure since i never tried But most tai chi classes these days are just for health and nothing else.

I plan to take wing chun when i get to my next belt, there's a place nearby and the sifu there was taught by a guy who studied under yip man and was also a friend of yip man, so i think it might be good. i hope i don't get confused between my two styles.

well cya guyz.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can train as many arts as you want, as long as you understand the basis of each one. For example, if you take Shotokan, understand how to deliver strikes, how the attacks are initiated, and the general attitude and philosophy of the art. From there, you have a solid footing in the art, and practice will yield results. But if you take several arts at once without first understanding each one and its meaning, you're lost. Some arts, like Shotokan and Taijiquan, just don't go together, and you're sure to mess your training up badly if you try to attend both classes at the same time. On the other hand, Jujutsu and Aikido classes would go great together, because they're dealing with the same basic formula, just with different approaches. The key is to get the most out of each art and not overwork yourself. There's no set rules to this; you just have to know how much you should, and can, handle.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly believe cross training is the way go to. I think everyone should cross train to compensate for the weaknesses in their art.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was reading something by a fairly modern Japanese karate master (Shotokan I think...or perhaps Goju?) and he highly recommended Tai Chi as a complementary practise to karate. Said he had been doing it for decades himself and it helped his karate immensely.

There is a Tai Chi punch routine almost identical to the karate punch routine (the basic horse stance, hands on hips thing...)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many martial artists are familiar with the old story of the sword master who visited another warrior to learn a new martial art. The story involves the sword master sitting down for tea while boasting about his experience and abilities. The warrior poured his visitor a cup of tea while listening. He continued filling the cup until it overflowed. The sword master was alarmed at this and demanded an explanation. The warrior pouring tea told the sword master that he must "empty his cup" before he should expect to be able to fill it again ...learn something new.

Regardless of what other martial art or style of Karate practiced, it is a good idea to keep in mind the practice of "emptying your cup." There is no need to *completely* empty your cup. Some concepts carry over from one martial art to another, such as the idea of keeping a stable center, conscience of proper posture and understanding that martial arts should only be used for defense. Some concepts, however, do not carry over.

Practicing a punch/kick/strike art (karate), and then crosstraining in the practice of another punch/kick/strike art, such as TKD or weaponless styles of Kung-fu, may be of limited use as a supplement to Karate and possibly only causing confusion. Some people find the study of kata from Goju-ryu, for example, to be a nice change of pace from the kata of Shotokan.
For those who wish to combine grappling to their style , Aikido or Judo may be good complementary training. Training in weapon arts such as Kendo, Naginatado and Iaido may be good complementary training to a punch/kick/strike art.
Regardless of what other martial art or style of Karate practiced, it is a good idea to keep in mind the practice of "emptying your cup." There is no need to *completely* empty your cup. Some concepts carry over from one martial art to another, such as the idea of keeping a stable center, conscience of proper posture and understanding that martial arts should only be used for defense. Some concepts, however, do not carry over.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-18 15:46 ]

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your purpose in training in two different arts? Do you want to reach that higher level of spirituality or mental state you can achieve in martial arts??? Do you want to become a better fighter?

I believe to reach that higher level of spiritually or mental state in martial arts, you must stick to one style.

For me, i cross train in order to become a better fighter. I train in various martial arts systems. Achieving my black-belt in each system of martial arts is not my goal. I'm more interested in learning techniques that work for me. I believe there is no perfect martial art for one particular person. If you want to become a better fighting through cross-training, you must pick and choose the techniques that seem to work best for you. NOt all techniques work for everyone. Also, some techniques in different systems contradict each other. Some systems have their own theory on how to throw a side kick. I throw it whatever way works best for me. I am my own martial art....

Mo_Tseu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I want to combine the two martial art to become a better fighter.

Althought Kali and kung-fu are a great combination, I should train in grappling because my two styles don't have enough of it.

counichiwa
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: