Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Changing the angle of attack/Footwork Reply with quote

Linear sparring can be hazardous...Changing the angle of attack can surprise your opponent...Any suggestions about footwork in sparring in Tae kwon do? Any websites about this?

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT: I'm not much help but i want to know some footwork stuff too.

I think it was Bruce lee who said good footwork beats every thing and it's mental fighting someone who can hit you from a hundred different angles coz they got good footwork.

The people i know with good footwork have aquired it from years of sparring, sparring and more sparring.

I want to know too...

Bretty

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always practiced the simple slide step and step behind. I don't wait to use them, though. I'm constantly moving, so they have to keep up with me. Just remember not to go in a circle in the same direction for any set number of steps. And, be ready to reverse direction when they try to anticipate where you'll be.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some masking tape and tape a star pattern on the floor. Stand in the middle and then work forwards and back on the different angles that the pattern dictates. Remember to also move your back foot as you move your lead foot forward, and vice versa. As you work on your footwork movements start throwing in some combinations of hand strikes and kicks. Hope this is useful

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fake, sometimes I like to cross my legs and then execute the "Blitz". The Blitz is disguised because my opponent thinks that I will kick him.

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circling an opponent who depends on linear attacks keeps them off balance. If someone tries to circle you, cut off their path with lateral movement. Your job is to dictate the fight with unpredictability.
The most important tool is knowing your opponent's range and being able to float at the very edge of it until an opportunity presents itself. (and it will)
Try to stay in balance at all times so that you can capitalize on your opponent when he loses his.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sparring matches are not limited to lateral, straight in and out types of movements. Many fighters will circle their opponent in an attempt to create an opening. Openings are often created when the defender is not able to effectively use their footworkand body positioning to follow the circular movements of the attacker.The ability to maintain proper body alignment while circling is an important skill that is often overlooked. You can use a two-part drill (CIRCULAR MOVEMENT DRILL) to develop this skill.
First you pair off with a partner. Take a fighting stance facing each other with very little distance between you. The partner who is deemed the aggressor will circle the defender at a realistic pace, changing direction at random. The defender will attemptto follow, always keeping their body alignment such that effective blocks and counters are possible. Both partners are limited to stepping only with their rear leg, while pivoting on their lead foot.
This simplified footwork means that the defender can concentrateon proper upper body alignment, making sure that the aggressor does not succeed in getting slightly too far behind or in front.If at any time the aggressor feels that they have created an opening,they should attempt to strike it. This will serve to reinforcethe need to maintain proper positioning.When you feel comfortable with this drill you can move on to the second part. You areare now permitted to circle freely with both feet. You must now incorporate proper footwork to maintain correct upper body alignment.
This two step approach will result in feeling comfortable with circular movements and will illustrate the importance of proper body positioning while sparring
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: