Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bushido Brown
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Chinese MA, Karate, and Structure Reply with quote

Hello.

Like many posting in this forum, I am soon to begin studying martial arts. To situate my question somewhat, I'll say that I am 24, a graduate student, and I have never studied any sort of martial art before now.

Over the past few weeks, I have visited a few martial arts schools in the area. The schools that I've checked out teach Northern Shaolin styles/Tai Chi/polygot Chinese MA as well as a Shotokan Karate dojo.

One thing that I've noticed (and this brings me to the focus of this thread) is that, generally speaking, there seems to be a marked difference in the structure of training and of the styles themselves between Chinese MA and Karate. All of the Chinese MA schools I visited were somewhat fast-and-loose in their training; leaning moves from this style here, that style there, weapons here, start doing all sorts of kicks on day one there... etc. In contrast, the Shotokan Karate dojo was much more rigidly structured: well-defined basics, lots of repetition of those basics, a great deal of focus on the execution of those basics being done in just the right way, etc.

What I'm wondering... is this, very generally, characteristic of Chinese MA and Karate training, or is it just a quality of the schools that happen to be in my area (Colorado)? This is quite important to me for two reasons: 1) I'll only be living here for the next 6-7 months, and I worry that the things that I learn won't be translatable (in any simple way) to schools elsewhere and 2) while my reasons for beginning a study of martial arts don't include martial superiority per se, I'd like to have some confidence that I am truly learning a martial art, rather than something much less.

So, is this sort of distinction common between learning Chinese MA and Karate in the States? If it isn't, what sort of structure in terms of style and training are more common (very generally, of course?

I very much appreciate any responses... I've narrowed down my search to two schools (Shotokan Karate Dojo and a polygot Chinese MA/Tai Chi school), and I would find this information to be helpful in deciding between them.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that schools of the same style can also differ greatly so it is always best to observe several classes to get the feel of it. Instructors also have different styles of teaching which contributes to the confusion! Given the info you provide in your Introduction my advice is to go for the more rigid and disciplined school. Post a few names/links and someone on the forum may have some insight on the schools you have narrowed it down to.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that you have no prior experience, I would have to agree with Ninjanurse on this one. And 6-7 months of basic Karate should translate well to almost anything. Every art has some version of a front, round and side kick, a lead and reverse punch, and a high middle and low block. These are all basic Karate moves. There will be a considerable difference if you go from a hard to a soft style, Karate being generally more a hard style than Kung Fu. Please someone correct me if necessary, as I don't know much of Shotokan specifically. I say this mostly because I believe in having strong basics before anything. A hard style is easier for a beginner to learn, in my experience, and provides a good basis for other things. I recommend starting the Karate school, then after 6 months or so when you move try a Chinese school. This being said, look at the self defense aspects of the training. Do the attacks being defended seem realistic? Is the art aspect as important as the martial aspect to you? Basically which seems more "you"? I like the idea of mixing in aspects from different arts like you say the Chinese school does, but perhaps you would rather have a long running tradition? How were you greeted walking through the door? That should be a huge deciding factor. At any rate, welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of martial arts.

sperki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a better feel at one school or the other? As in would you fit in better at one place, or does one approach to teaching fit your lifestyle more? All other things being equal I would vote for karate (because that's what I study:) or convenience of location (because I'm a treehugger:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: