Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw it on tv and I don't think much of it

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw his Discovery Channel special. At first glance it looked impressive, but as someone else said, they huffed and puffed to get ready for the incoming technique. They all what was coming and where it was going to. THe only thing they didn't know was when. If they ever get into a real situation they may do alright if the attacker gives them a play by play, other than that they would be in serious trouble. Rod Sacharnoski comes off like a big fraud. From what I've seen on the web he is. I always step back and closely examine anyone that wears outrageous costumes to train. It always makes me think they're playing dress up and/ or let's pretend.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that they can actually take those hits, with preparation or not, is something

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thing was set up. Same as George Dillman setting up knock outs buy having y ou grab him. Instead of going full force trying to knock his head off. Once you grab the guy he knows were your hat knows your not going to move or do any thing so he can do the hit squence to set up the knock outs. Same with Rod Sakronoski (sp?) guys every thing was set up. My friends dad trained with him back in the early 80's. Look at the discovery. Be nice if they did that in straight out fight wiht out "ki'ing" or DBZ term "powering up" lol! besides there isn't much tourque or any thing on there puch or kicks its all out side pain not inside.

-Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The punches straight to the throat were impressive...but a lot of those people were in visible pain after they got hit (including the girl doing her master's test, that passed out in the middle of it)...that tells me that he's doing nothing for them, and that he's a fraud.
"There is no spoon."

Hoju
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Fencing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still be interested in seeing a long-term effects study. You know, it may be all nice to be able to take those punches to the throat, but in five years, you're breathing through a straw because your trachea collapsed...

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is some truth to it. There was a school in california that was teaching students to control their ki in certain ways to take these great hits with out loss of consciousness or death or even pain. I have only studied it briefly. It has a lot to do with body conditioning and ki, yet from what i have learned there are also a lot of tricks to it too. I have trained my neck to take ridgehands which was cool, but i have been studying for a long time, and my origininal master taught us how to ignore kicks to the groin. Other than that i can still get hurt if i am not prepared. That is why my best defense is to BLOCK my opponent's attack, not just try to focus my ki.....sorry but i dont want to risk my life in a real situation...

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mental take a kick to the groin. But depends on how you punch and or strike in general. My friends dad took it from Rod sakronski (sp?) Saw pictures of him and rod in his house and getting his 3rd dan. He hasn't really trained in over 15 to 20 years though. But says back then it was easy to take a punch to the throat. Of course I never saw him demonstrate it. I highly doubt it will work in a quick situation. Seems like every thing is based on set up or in other words got to Ki up for it.

-Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The junko kai people pretty much prove that you can fool most of the people most of the time.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the person actually lets you kick them in the juevos as hard as you can, I'd be reluctant to believe.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: